• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade OROPS

Jeff D.

Digger, did you get the slide show you had a link too to work?

I can't. Is it worth watching?

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
ROP Mounts

Your ROP look's good, mine on my 650G is mounted with rubber, yrs ago I welded one up solid on my 977 Cat and it lasted a day before the welds cracked. Just throwing that out their.

Jeff D.

farmboy555 said:
......yrs ago I welded one up solid on my 977 Cat and it lasted a day before the welds cracked.
:eek: Don't start talking like that now!!:nono

It is something I've thought/worried about. Time will tell. The sweeps are bolted and pinned on, so they should have enough give. The rest is one piece, although it is bolted to the dozer. I hope there'll be enough give, or a lack of stress put on it, that it won't happen.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure. Thanks for the compliment too.:yup

Alan

Charter Member
I screwed up when I designed it though. I wanted to make it low enough too fit into my heated garage. I welded most of it up in there, but backed the dozer out before assembling it. When I pulled back up to the garage it wouldn't fit through the door.(about a half inch too high).

I just started reading this thread, sorry to be quoting from so long ago.

Why doncha just let some air out of the tires?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff D.

Alan said:
Hey, no problem.:)

The idea of dropping tire pressure would've been a good idea, but this piece has tracks on it.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Alan said:

You're responsible for knowing this material, and we can't be holding up the whole class to go back and review for your sake. :nono If you can't keep up, perhaps you should consider a less academically challenging program. Dr. Dahlgren is a very busy man, and we're lucky to have him here. And stop asking silly questions...

(There, do you feel sufficiently chastized? :wink2 )

The idea of dropping tire pressure would've been a good idea, but this piece has tracks on it.

:waving Dr. Dahlgren, Dr. Dahlgren! I have a question....

So, why didn't you just jack the machine up, get the grinder out, and grind 1/2" off the bottom of the tracks? :confused:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
We see who sat in the front of the classroom.:laugh
You also brought an apple to the teacher everyday didn't you Digger.:yup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
No, actually it's the other way around. You don't remember those little speeches so well when they're aimed at somebody else... :spaz

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
:waving Dr. Dahlgren, Dr. Dahlgren! I have a question....

So, why didn't you just jack the machine up, get the grinder out, and grind 1/2" off the bottom of the tracks? :confused:
I was going too just flip it over, and then grind down the tracks, but I didn't have the ROPS done yet.:bouncegri

I had the feeling Alan was making a joke(with the tire thing), but I don't know him well enough to really tell. So I went easy on him.

Beside's in his "Big Load and Haul Operation" thread he looked old, so I was being respectful too.:wink2

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
:sleeping ..........Speeches, what speeches........what page are we on?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I was going too just flip it over, and then grind down the tracks, but I didn't have the ROPS done yet.

Ahhh Geez. You're not as smart as I thought you were then. :rolleyes:

If you flip it over and grind the tracks down, after you flip it back upright, and drive forward toward the garage, the part of the tracks that was on the bottom is now on the top, and what was on top is now on the bottom. You have to flip it over again to grind down that part too, and when you do, it can get stuck in the garage doorway. That's why it's better just to jack it up... :thumbsup

Jeff D.

Why am I soo stupid??:mad: I never think of those easy ways to do things like you do Digger.:Banghead

Actually, the way it worked was that part of the garage has doors on both ends. I drove it around to the other side, checked clearance, and it seemed like it would fit(but just barely). So I creeped ahead slooowwly, and about halfway through the door I heard the wood trim going crack(and other wood breaking sounds) so no more problem.:rolleyes: I just reached up and yanked what was left down.:thumbsup

All better.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
He could have just ground down the tracks then driven it till the short lugs were on the bottom then drug it the rest of the way.
I still think the answer would have been to take the tracks off.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Didn't some wise a** already suggest that??Ron G:bouncegri

Dusty

Charter Member
u should have just pushed the dang cement out of the way and it would have fit fine who needs a nice flat floor anyway

Jeff D.

Would it fit if you roled it on it's side and drug it in?
Hmmm,It may very well!!:yup

But let's not get off track with this getting the dozer in and out of the garage thing.:nono

This is no longer the issue, as I've overcome this obsticle with the aid of poor height perception, and force. The garage is now dozer accessable.

My concern now is how can I make it appear like I care about my houses appearance, and the missing trim and paint, without actually caring about my houses appearance or the missing trim and paint?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...how can I make it appear like I care about my houses appearance, and the missing trim and paint, without actually caring about my houses appearance or the missing trim and paint?

Sue yourself for the damage you caused, and use the money to pay someone to do repairs. (Of course, knowing you, you'd just pocket the money anyway...) :rolleyes:

Jeff D.

Well the dilema is, if I trick a woman into..................er, if I am entertaining a lady guest at my place, I don't want them to think that I care more about being able to get the dozer into the garage, than having painted matching trim and blah,blah,blah.:wink2

It's the proverbial "You can't have your cake, and eat it too!"

Last edited: