• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade OROPS

Jeff D.

I'm building a ROPS for my dozer. I'm about 3/4ths done. I figured I'd post my progress so far.

Pic 1: picked up the ROPS from the steel dealer*
*(some assembly required)
Pic 2: Lot's-o-gussets
Pics 3 & 4: as far as I've gotton so far.

I've to weld the plate to the roof, weld some grab handles in various locations, and add a guard for the stack(so it doesn't get knocked off), add some mounts/guards for forward/back lights, weld a piece of expanded metal in the open area behind my head, and paint er' up nice and shiny JD yellow.

How does it look too you guys?

Attachments

• Dozer OROPS 001 (Small).jpg
    Dozer OROPS 001 (Small).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,944
  • Dozer OROPS 008 (Small).jpg
    Dozer OROPS 008 (Small).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,915
  • Dozer OROPS 005 (Small).jpg
    Dozer OROPS 005 (Small).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,920
  • Dozer OROPS 006 (Small).jpg
    Dozer OROPS 006 (Small).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,015

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
How does it look too you guys?

Won't be able to say until you roll er over...

:)

(Actually, why paint it yellow? There's something appealing about Black and Gold.) :)

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
Won't be able to say until you roll er over...
Let's hope that doesn't happen. I'm thinking about trees/branches more than actually getting it upside down. The uprights are 3" (1/4" thick), so I hope they'll hold?!:beatsme

It's built much heavier built than the factory cab on my Ford backhoe is.:yup
(Actually, why paint it yellow? There's something appealing about Black and Gold.) :)
Hmmm, I could do that. I didn't even think of it.

JBL

Very nice job Jeff. I think if you would have attached the sweeps to the hood it would have given the exhaust some protection. Be sure and take pictures if you do test it out.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
tylermckee said:
So thats why you havent been on here wasting as much bandwith as usual.

It wastes much more bandwidth for everyone to view Jeff's posts than it does for him to actually post them. :yup

Jeff D.

JBL said:
I think if you would have attached the sweeps to the hood it would have given the exhaust some protection.
To the top? Yup, it would've completely covered it then.:thumbsup I should've done it that way. I'll weld a guard on the left sweep that'll deflect branches though.
tylermckee said:
So thats why you havent been on here wasting as much bandwith as usual.
:bouncegri There's only so many hours in a day. I gotta get something done once in awhile.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Actually, reference bandwidth, Jeff's "Small used dozers" thread has the second most views (2781) on the whole forum. "Work Pics" is the leader by far,(14,000 and some) and "Lonely Friday" is third (2000 and something). So, actually, Jeff is probably using the most bandwidth, but he's inspired the largest discussion too. Another feather in his cap. :notworthy

Back to ROPS discussion--no thread hijacking tonight... :thumbsup

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
Back to ROPS discussion--no thread hijacking tonight...
FWIW Don't ever worry about that in a thread of mine. I don't care what anyone post in my threads. That's just me personally though, it's probobly not a good habit in general.

I usually weld with 6011, but I was recommended to use 7018. It may be a stonger weld, but I really have too turn the heat up to get it to flow right, and it takes a jackhammer to get the slag off.:confused:

With a 5/32 rod, reverse DC, I'm running it at 185 amps, and 6011 I can run about 125 amps. I know the rods dry, I just bought it, and it was vacuum sealed, so it's not a moisture problem.

Anyone else had that experience with it(7018)? Maybe a bad batch? It's Lincoln rod, so I'd think it'd be quality?

I was thinking about switching to 7024, but they only had it in 50lbs tins. It would be shot long before I used that much.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
FWIW Don't ever worry about that in a thread of mine. I don't care what anyone post in my threads. That's just me personally though, it's probobly not a good habit in general.

It's not that, it's just that it's Squizzy's job, and if he feels like abandoning us for a week and a half, I'm sure not gonna cover for him! :mad:

:wink2

Jeff D.

He did say that on his vacation he'd be going in search of "Hart-Parr" like pics to take, so it is (eventually) going to further the forum.

That's if the Black Snakes don't get him while he's gone.:bouncegri

tylermckee

I bought myself some new work boots today, and a new pair of jeans, boy do i look snazzy, about as snazzy as that ol dozer

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
Anyone else had that experience with it(7018)? Maybe a bad batch? It's Lincoln rod, so I'd think it'd be quality?
In my very limited experience I had to turn up the heat a little on 7018 also. It was harder to get the arc to start, but it was pretty when it was done. The 6011 was easier to start and didn't drip as bad when doing vertical beads, but didn't look as nice. But I'm also a very novice welder so...

It looks good. :notworthy How much weight will it add to the dozer?
Now just run down to the glass shop and close it in for the winter - along with HVAC too of course...:thumbsup

And I think digger's right (damn, did I say that out loud?) I remember seeing the ROPS on most of the small JD's painted black.

atgreene

Looks good. It definately will save the noggin in the event of a close encounter with a tree branch. :thumbsup

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
How much weight will it add to the dozer?
I could only guess at the weight, but 700-1000lbs maybe??????:beatsme
Orchard Ex said:
Now just run down to the glass shop and close it in for the winter - along with HVAC too of course...:thumbsup
I'm going to get a house window air conditioner and a really long extension cord.:bouncegri
Orchard Ex said:
And I think digger's right (damn, did I say that out loud?) I remember seeing the ROPS on most of the small JD's painted black.
Yup, I believe I'll be painting it black now. I think it would look better too...........but gloss or satin, that's the next question???
digger242j said:
It doesn't matter whether you said it out loud--you were thinking it.
It does matter to some women, trust me..................especially the foxy one with the really tight sweater at the mall.:yup

Jeff D.

Getting alittle closer too done. I've added the roof, expanded metal screen front/back, lights w/guard, grab handles, and D-rings for anchor points.

It just needs to be painted now. I ixnay'd the exhaust guard. I'd put one on but ended up cutting it back off. I didn't care for the way it turned out.

I'll just have to watch the stack closer while in the brush.

Attachments

• Done welding OROPS 004 (Small).jpg
    Done welding OROPS 004 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 869
  • Done welding OROPS 006 (Small).jpg
    Done welding OROPS 006 (Small).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 871
  • Done welding OROPS 008 (Small).jpg
    Done welding OROPS 008 (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 852
  • Done welding OROPS 009 (Small).jpg
    Done welding OROPS 009 (Small).jpg