• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade Hydraulic “accumulator?”

Labparamour

Had seal go out on 3pt log splitter spool valve.
I’m curious if fluid would expand enough in 4”x 24” cylinder going from 50* to 100* temps in a “closed” system (as splitter disconnected from tractor and hose ends coupled together) to overpressure the valve? It developed leak on the end of the valve body opposite of the handle.
Or do I just have a cheap spool valve?

Would a small 1 1/2”x8” cylinder T’d into return side (one port only, the other plugged w captured air) work as DIY accumulator for any fluid expansion?

I would leave the spool in “auto-retract position so fluid could move freely.

Thanks for any input.

Darryl

joe--h

I'd say not a chance.

If so every piece of equipment on the planet would be pissing fluid.

Joe H

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That seal on the rear of the spool is easy to replace and a splitter leads a dirty life. You didn't mention if the spools have covers or are exposed but if the actual spool is not galled, just replace the seal. No way the valve should leak.

Labparamour

Thanks for replies.
Yeah, it sits in the weather but no pitting on spool.
I see a retainer clip holding cap/disc on leaking end.
Will pull it apart.

Was just curious if, being incompressible, it could expand enough to damage seals since no pressure relief like when in use.

I know there’s stuff working in harsh environments.
I just wasn’t sure if the hydraulics and large cylinders on earthmoving equipment set up different.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That valve is most likely a tandem, or more commonly referred to "open center" valve. Fluid pressure is negligible when the system is idle and to go from ambient to increased pressure with temperature rise is not great enough to push past a good seal.

When you renew the seal do use plenty of lubricant to avoid galling, or scuffing of anything.

Delmer

The cylinder would have had to be extended to pressurize, otherwise it would have just leaked by the valve spool and pushed out the rod a fraction of an inch. The spool seal on the bottom is the most common place for a valve to leak, just fix it.

A cylinder will work for an accumulator.

cfherrman

Hydraulic systems go to 2000 psi+, a system at 0 pressure would have to have quite a increase of temp to get anywhere close to 2000 psi