• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade drill drive boring bars

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I tend to think that if the bearings have a decent crush on them like 50 or 6 thou they will handle the pin being tightened on them. If you are a bit nervous about it the way to be sure is machine up some top hat bushes.Just rebate the bore a bit so they sit flush.I've done a lot of them. Machine them out of 4140, oversize. Bring them to a red heat and quench them in oil and final machine them with a ceramic tip. I have a number of machine with them and they are going 7 to 8000 hours no worries.
Steve,an O ring around the outside is good. We also cut a groove in the end cap to take an O ring. It bolts up against the end of the bore and acts as a seal to retain the grease. I might have a pic somewhere.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Here you go. These are Hitachi EX3600 bucket caps.

Attachments

• DSC01925small.jpg
    DSC01925small.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,192
  • DSC01924small.jpg
    DSC01924small.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,186

OldandWorn

Here you go. These are Hitachi EX3600 bucket caps.

Ray, These caps look like they are made from scratch. Is this a totally different design than from the factory or are you duplicating the factory caps and just adding an o-ring groove?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Tom,the Hitachi factory design is nothing more than very basic pin with a locking tail and no bearing in the bucket and no cap. No protection for the faces and the bucket bores wear rapidly in a mining enviroment. Myself and a workshop manager made up this floating pin system for his fleet or PC650 and 1000 Komatsu diggers 22 years ago.We went from boring a bucket a week to one every 3 month's. The effect was so dramatic that I would say almost every mining bucket made in Western Australia uses a similar set up. I can't claim all that much credit though as we used the Liebherr system as a model.
So these days I machine up the bosses and the caps for my line boring clients when they manufacter a new bucket. After its made I go in and line bore it.

OldandWorn

Sweet! Thanks for the explanation. Looks like bar stock, you must have a nice big saw too.

OldandWorn

Fooled me :eek:. I saw the caps in the background with a bit of rust on the O.D. like correctly sized stock with a light finish cut.

Old Magnet

The "Nervous" solution sounds good to me. Top hat bushings = flanged bushings that I was referring to previously. Really just providing a liner to replace missing bore material, not the usual wear bushings. Thanks again.

Old Magnet

No, I'm not equipped to produce the bushings described......still digesting the info. Closest I got at one time was looking into flanged drill bushings but they would be a special order item.

Do I detect a proposal in there???

Thanks

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
No, I'm not equipped to produce the bushings described......still digesting the info. Closest I got at one time was looking into flanged drill bushings but they would be a special order item.

Do I detect a proposal in there???

Thanks
Mate,cmon over this morning and I'll spin a couple up for you:D

Old Magnet

I'd love to but the freight bill on 270 lbs would be a bit much. LOL

Interesting that not long ago I was working with a fellow with a lame D6 out of Perth.
Apparently a gold mining (small) operation. Nice fellow, was happy to get his tractor going again. Regards