• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

holiday entitlements worldwide

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'm self-employed, I don't have any entitlements....:cool2

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Seems the norm 'round here is 1 week paid vacation for 1 to 3 years of service then 2 weeks paid after 3 years of service plus all National Holidays. Trouble is in this economy finding an employer that will last 3 years let alone 1.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My present job working as an expatriate overseas gives me 4 weeks annual leave with flights paid back to the point of hire (UK in my case), plus 4 x 5-day "long weekends" per year with flights paid to London. That works fine for me as a Brit because for an additional $150 or so I can easily get home from London. For the Australians on our job site it doesn't get them back home the same but I haven't heard anyone knocking it, from London they'll do something like Paris, Madrid, Venice, or similar.

Those vacation conditions may seem good but bear in mind my work week is 6 full days, usually about 70-80 hours on average, and we work all local Public Holidays ...........

buckfever

I work for my dad so it's 7 days a week (6 days making money and one day putting everything back together that broke).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I work for my dad so it's 7 days a week (6 days making money and one day putting everything back together that broke).

6 days of work and actually making money?? You lucky dog!:D

Aussie Leroy

I am 35 years self employed so days off are on a sometimes or if at all. Mates of mine work in the coal mines in aussie and make $100 thousand+ a year and work 2 weeks on and then 2 weeks off, and flown home

The only advantage of being self employed is your the last to get the sack

Last edited:

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Just the National holidays, unpaid like they should be. No paid vacation, you won't hear me complain. (Im even union, so you union bashers can talk umungst yerselves on that one!) And the typical layoff during the worst of the winter months here in the Great Northwest when its to wet, cold, froze, snowy or just down-right miserable to be out trying to move dirt, but we still try!

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I'm just curious, why shouldn't you get paid for National Holidays?
Just the National holidays, unpaid like they should be. No paid vacation, you won't hear me complain. (Im even union, so you union bashers can talk umungst yerselves on that one!) And the typical layoff during the worst of the winter months here in the Great Northwest when its to wet, cold, froze, snowy or just down-right miserable to be out trying to move dirt, but we still try!

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Why should you be paid for a day off? You don't get paid for weekends unless you work do you? I think the only reason why Holidays get paid by some employers is because they don't care enough about their employes to pay them a decent wage in the first place.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Okay, Fair enough answer. I look at differently, I would rather work but am forced to take the day off. You are right about not being paid well, I don't think employers give a rats @$$ about employees anymore, twenty years ago there was such a thing as loyalty that went both ways, that is long gone these days.
Why should you be paid for a day off? You don't get paid for weekends unless you work do you? I think the only reason why Holidays get paid by some employers is because they don't care enough about their employes to pay them a decent wage in the first place.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator

Employers know that paid holidays, and for that matter, paid vacations and sick days, cost them money. They just figure that cost and calculate it into what they're paying per hour. Everybody loves the feeling of getting something for nothing, and that's what employees feel like when they get paid for a holiday. If, as an employee, you're in touch with reality, you know that you're taking home a little less per hour than you'd get if you only got paid for the hours you actually worked. If you're not getting paid well enough for the hours you work, that's a different issue.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Yeah. What CM said. Also explains why I don't stop for lunch.
Like CM and digger I too am self enslaved! Lol. You know you've been working too hard when you feel quilty for NOT working week ends and holidays. :crazy:
I get more days off than I care for, due to weather and break downs. It's funny how things work out......nahh maybe not ! :beatsme :Banghead

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
There are none here other then paid vacation. Houston is so industrialized work can be 24/7 not even paid double time ETC. When I look at employers I take everything in account.

Funny some of you mention being self-employed, so you don't have any entitlements. When the majority of the owners I know are the worse and walk around with there nose in the air. Taking more time off then anyone and expecting there employees to pick up the slack. Thats there right as an employer not an employee.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Funny some of you mention being self-employed, so you don't have any entitlements. When the majority of the owners I know are the worse and walk around with there nose in the air. Taking more time off then anyone and expecting there employees to pick up the slack.

I'm self employed, but I don't have any employees either. When I'm not working there's nobody to pick up the slack.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I'm self employed, but I don't have any employees either. When I'm not working there's nobody to pick up the slack.

Yep me too - no employees. I can pat myself on the back or blame myself if something goes wrong. I can gripe about the employees and the boss at the same time.:rolleyes:

Last edited: