• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HoeClamp for JD 310C

korydz

I'm thinking about an Amulet Hoeclamp for my JD 310C. Does anyone out there have one on this particular model?

Deon

I have never heard of that brand. I made a thumb for my 310D. I can open and close it with the sliding function of the extendahoe.
Having a thumb or clamp is a very nice option. For handling rocks, trees and many other things, I don't know what I would do without it.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,853

mljohn

yes we have 2 one on a cat hoe and one on a 410 deere. amulet has good response to problems.

korydz

Deon, great idea. Would you be willing to share details (specs, dimensions, pictures) of what you made? I have a good friend that is a fabricator that is on stand by to work on a thumb for me. I never thought of using the extendahoe to operate the thumb.

jughead

Occupation
retired
i have an amulet on my 655 ford. i love it the only draw back i have found it difficult to pick something up when it is close to the hoe. one has to position the hoe farther away from the object.

Deon

Korydz,
What type and model of backhoe do you have?
The thumb is not on the hoe at the present but I'll try to take some photos for you on the weekend.
I have 5 teeth on the bucket and 4 teeth on the thumb so they fit in-between to get a good closure for
small objects. Because the thumb hinges on the same pin as the bucket, I get perfect alignment at the
teeth no matter what angle the bucket is rotated. I look at some company made thumbs and notice that
the steel is rather small and flimsy looking. I think they can make them that way by using structural steel
but I used mild steel so I put more metal in mine. I've used it a lot to handle trees and rocks. I never see
it twist even when only pinching on one side.

korydz

Deon,

I have a JD 310C, so very similar to yours, with a 24" four tooth bucket. Photos and dimensions would take a lot of the design work out of it for me. I have a good friend (from the East Coast actually) that owns a fabrication/machine/hydraulic shop that has agreed to take on the project. I'll check out the Rockland info too. Thanks!

sinnful

I actually just ordered one from amulet yesterday for a 310d. I will post pictures when it arrives

korydz

I checked with Rockland about their Smart Thumb (the one that Deon used for inspiration) and they no longer make it. The new hoes have have the outside of the dipper extend instead of the inside, which wouldn't work with this design, so they discontinued it. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a JD 310C or similar hoe with the Rockland Smart Thumb that I could get dimensions from?

Deon

korydz,

I hope you are still checking in now and then. I have managed to get photos and dimensions for you. You will not have the exact same steel as I do but by showing this to your welder he should be able to make something that will work. Most welders are pretty good at designing things once they have the critical dimensions. You will need to measure your bucket width, especially at the point where the main pin passes through. The square tubing that is welded in across the centre is to prevent the thumb from twisting. A 4" pipe with 1/4" wall will also work. You can see a smaller square tube welded to the larger one. That is a stop that bumps agains the dipper stick to prevent the thumb from opening too much. Good luck and send us photos once your done. You will love working your machine with a thumb.

Attachments

• phpl7SCClPM.jpg
    phpl7SCClPM.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,288
  • eye.jpg
    eye.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,291
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,289

korydz

Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for. This will save me a TON of pain in trial and error. My welder is actually a great fabricator and machinist as well. I'm sure he'll have this figured out in no time. I really appreciate it.

toivo1037

I also have a 310c w/extendahoe. I am just a homeowner and I want a thumb for some light demo use and brush cleanup. All of the thumbs that I have seen for this BH are hinged on teh main bucket pin. Changing that pin, especially on an older machine by myself seems like a royal pain. I have been thinking about mocking up a thumb that would hinge on some bolts that I drill into the side of the bucket itself. Now I know that it would not open up as far as a pivot pin install, but teh trade off would be an easier install and remove.

So what do you guys think, would that be a bit easier to construct and install? Anyone ever see a thumb like that? Or am I just plain crazy?

Deon

I think that may work but probably best to weld an ear on
each side of the pipe section of the bucket up close to where
the pivot pin is. Just Clear of the pivot pin so you can still
remove it. A piece of 1/2 x 4 flat plate about 4" long with a
1" bolt through it should work.