• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hoarding isn't always a bad thing

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Had a truck with a C-15 come in day before yesterday pushing coolant out under a hard pull, got the head off and the head gasket was going in two places. Got a gasket kit this morning and sled gauged the liners, they were consistent at +.003... not enough for a 525HP engine. Oh, look... I saved a .003 undersize spacer plate in the back room. We are now at +.006 and life should be good for this engine.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I can kinda relate to that.... I save just about anything and everything.... my only question to you is how on God's green earth did you find where you saved it? ;)
Cat in one corner, Cummins in another, and... well you get the picture. The undersize spacer was from an engine I rebuilt 2 years ago and had the block cut for shims to put it all back to stock after I had put the undersize on it 2 years before that replacing the head. Got a recycling system going now. :D

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
It usually works out that you keep stuff around for years and then figure you'll never use so throw it out. 2 weeks later you need it.
Exactly, awhile back I tossed a couple of Cat engine harnesses, a week later i could have used a plug from one of them. New program starting up. :)

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
I can kinda relate to that.... I save just about anything and everything.... my only question to you is how on God's green earth did you find where you saved it? ;)
There IS a method to the madness! :confused:
If I were to pass suddenly, they'll just get one of those big roll off dumpsters. :eek:
I wonder how many times you'll hear.... " What the HELL did he save THAT for??".

Last edited: