1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Hoarder needs help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by partsandservice, Jul 18, 2020.

1. partsandservice

partsandservice Senior Member

I must make a confession, I am a Hoarder. Cat parts hoarder to be exact. Anyway I have a damaged axle housing that I would like to remove the planetary ring gear before scrapping. Any ideas on how to remove this gear? Prefix 525
    KIMG0874.JPG

2. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Those gears are shrunk in. You'll need to cut the housing.

3. partsandservice

I though that may be the case, I will experiment on this one because it is worthless at this point anyway.

4. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    If you need help with your hoarding, feel free to ship me some of the more valuable forestry parts and I will store them for you. No need to thank me, I’m just a helpful guy like that.

simonsrplant likes this.
  5. highwayghost

highwayghost Senior Member

Emissions Analyst
    I would try making cuts on the housing where the four pins hold the gear. Cut into the pin some. Hit with hammer on the outer housing areas. With luck it will release the gear.

kshansen likes this.
  6. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

This thread scared me. I was afraid you were going to ship us all some stuff, and I don't know what I'd do with anymore, but... I will find somewhere.

highwayghost likes this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    OMG more of US on here, My own shop/barn/yard are loaded where I may need professional help!!

highwayghost likes this.
  8. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

By chance I was going through some old pictures and found some of a 972 I repaired in 2008.

DSCF2991.JPG DSCF2992.JPG

9. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    How long was the ring in the freezer? Still looks frozen!

10. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    I have a feeling that was packed in dry ice for several hours!

DMiller likes this.
  11. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

Don't we all have space issues in our garages! I just used up some old foundation tar based sealer and some old 6x6's I had lying around. Nevermind the fact I held onto them for about 5 years before finding a project to use them on. Perfect encouragement for any hoarder. I dream of a junkyard someday..... My wife disagrees. Haha

oldironfred and DMiller like this.
  12. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Liquid nitrogen at around -300F.
    You only get one chance with this kind of thing and if it doesn't go in first time, you've got to gas out $1000 worth of ring gear and start again.

Truck Shop, DMiller, kshansen and 2 others like this.
  13. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Are the dowels in before or do you just have to put then in before it expands in place? I could see having a set of pins a couple thousands under size to use a guides.

DMiller likes this.
  14. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

It's a long time since I did it, but notice I've put a yellow paint mark at about 1.0 o'clock. I would say that this means the gear will only fit in one position. I imagine that at least one of the dowels would be in place first as the risk of having to rotate the gear slightly once installed would be too great.

I've got a few more pictures of this repair and if anyone is interested, I'll put them in a separate thread.

15. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

We had a cabinet at work that was full of brake shoes and pads we couldnt cross the PN so today i scraped them if i had alot of storage room i would have saved some of them. I did save 2 sets of shoes that look like they fit GM pickups.

Flat Thunder Channel and DMiller like this.
  16. partsandservice

I am interested! Have not had time to try and extract the gear but I am going to get at it soon .

DMiller likes this.
  17. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

18. partsandservice

The hoard is consuming me. I sell some of but I mostly just keep stacking it. But at least I am not collecting star wars toys. For example.. mostly cat, there is one jd axle to the right KIMG0906.JPG

19. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

You need some pallet shelving. I see lots and lots more room if you move vertically :)

Old Doug, DMiller and Bumpsteer like this.
  20. Theweldor

Theweldor Senior Member

At any rate..... there is a lot of money sitting there.

oldironfred and DMiller like this.