• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HM300-3 Blow By Problem

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
One of our HM300-3 has developed some blowby. Started with getting a crank case pressure error high that escalated from a low level alarm (L01) to a high level (L03) alarm over the course of about two-three days. We followed the manual on what items to service and in what order but maybe we missed the boat on catching a failure before it got too far? We replaced the KCCV filter, pressure sensor and cleaned the tubes out that connect to and from the KCCV filter housing. Machine is at the dealer now to confirm if we have lost the engine or not.

Does anyone know where I can get a reman engine or at least firm price on one for comparison? I am seeing little for the SAA6D125E-6 series engines that these trucks have in them. I priced an in-frame kit through Regal out of Tenn. and it is not too bad (Parts only $4,500). But I'm told by my branch service manager that if the dealer does the work, they recommend a total remove and replace with a reman or out of frame rebuild. I'm told that this is because the cost is nearly the same at about $35K to get a reman, rebuild or even do an in frame.... Does this square to you? I trust these men because they have always been fair and shoot straight with me, including now. But I would think an in frame would be cheaper than that? Maybe I am off or just suffering from sticker shock (likely case).

Any input is appreciated.

SN:3091

Video:

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
We got a bore scope into the engine on Thursday last week and we have found scoring on the number 5&6 cylinders. We are pulling the head for better examination.

Finally was told a figure on a reman, $52k before the labor to pull and reinstall. Hopefully we can get better pricing for rebuild of our engine with some warranty. God help us…

Any ideas on what might cause an engine to let go at right at 7000 hours?
Seems like most of these engines will hang together for double that?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
An engine swap is the best bet. Look at all the peripherals below and beside. You think you're going to get accurate torque on rods and mains? You can barely get your head in there to take a peak. The scoring of the cylinder walls went somewhere. It's most likely in the lube system now. It really is unreasonable to consider in-frame overhauls in most CE applications.
For cause of failure, it's the same with any engine. Chipped or burnt valve or dropped seat or valve. Water intrusion to the fuel system, ether starts causing broken rings. Broken grid heater. You'll have a better idea during the autopsy. Good luck

skyking1

I've seen more 5's and 6's go bad than all the rest put together. in the little engines it was hot spots or a plugged cooling jet.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Wanted to give an update on the engine. The engine was removed and has been sent off for rebuild. #5&6 were definitely the issue. They are telling me that they both look like they were “dusted”. Both cylinders appeared to be scored. We bought this truck and another just like it used from Connecticut so we don’t really know what could have happened wrote we got them. I know we have done our best to keep them serviced but who knows.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
I've seen more 5's and 6's go bad than all the rest put together. in the little engines it was hot spots or a plugged cooling jet.
Have you seen anything come out from Komatsu on this if it’s fairly common to fail these two cylinders?