1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Hitch plate braces

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Old Doug, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I am putting a hitch on my single axle truck the last trucks fifthwheel had a big frame so i ran the braces from the plate up the sides of the truck frame and welded them to the fifthwheel frame. Were are they run to most of the time to the bottom of the frame and if so is the frame plated?

2. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I was going between shops and it hit me the shop i work in is less than 150 feet from a diesel fuel island and there is truck after truck with hitches i could look at so every time i could i went out and looked at there hitches but i havent saw a hitch i thought was built right.

3. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

4. suladas

suladas Senior Member

5. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I will try to get you a couple of pics of mine in the next few days.
    The one on my single axle was installed as soon as I bought the truck. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the attachment to start with, but I had complete confidence in the man who did it. The plate is 7/8 T1, but the only brace is a piece of 5/8 x 4 running straight forward to the crossmember. It has moved some huge overloads in the last 17 years, and totalled a 25 to pintle hitch, but the plate hasn't given at all.

The one on my tandem truck is, I think, 1/2" plate, welded to the frame. It was on the truck when it came from a large, state-owned utility.

6. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

7. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Retired Combat Vet Mechanic/Welder
    I plan on taking mine and fabricating it with thicker steel such as 3/4” but this is how mine came with my rig and you can see how thin and easily bent it is. 4386C65D-9600-46F5-BA43-8C8AE0258218.jpeg 2F0556B8-5287-4160-9784-2C6D386A3199.jpeg

8. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

My plate is 3/4 it is on the bottom of the frame rails insteed of going up inside the frame because i want a frame with roller.I have 1/2 plates 8 x18 on the sides of the frame holding it up then i will have braces from the bottom of the hitch running up to the truck frame.

9. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I started on a goose neck hitch last night i made some scrap iron trying to figure what would be the best way to do it. I torched out 4 parts i was going to grind them so i could weld today i am glade i didnt because i need 2 alike and 2 backwards and i had cut out 4 alike. Then today i went with a easyer better ideal.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  10. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I wanted it as close to the axle as it could be and if time wasnt a problem i would have found a sliding 5thwheel so it wouldnt be in the way. picture (5).png Its bolted to the frame rails and tacked welded together i went for a spln down the road to see if it would be ok and it seems ok.

Spud_Monkey likes this.