• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ZX30U-3 Few questions

Quint

Morning everyone, new to the forum. This place has been a great resource the past few weeks.

Decided to get an mini ex for my 5 acres of wooded land that needs a bunch of management. I am not in a situation to rent one which was my first plan but due to work schedule and the fact it requires a ferry ride to access the area which adds about $300 per trip plus waste half the first and last day of the rental (if not more).

Ended up getting a used grey market machine 2010 Hitachi ZX30U-3. The machine has little over 3900 hrs. Relatively rust free and although used looks pretty decent. Everything works well and the Yanmar 3TNV88-BPHB fires right up and runs smoothly (all IMHO as a amateur first time owner). Has new hydraulic thumb and dig bucket put on by the dealer.

1.) ZX30U-3 vs -2, Is there much difference? Have sourced operations manual for the -2 however cant find one for the -3. I know these are similar to JDs, is 35D the best equivalent?

2.) Where is good price for steel track rubber pads? So far am seeing ones for around $50 a piece which will add up quick. At 44 pads when the time comes want to make sure to get a good/fair deal.

Thanks for any help, will probably have a few more questions as I dive in. One funny thing the seat back actually has a Japanese version of the manual and several laminated safety papers. To bad I hadnt learned the language in school.

lantraxco

2.) Where is good price for steel track rubber pads? So far am seeing ones for around $50 a piece which will add up quick. At 44 pads when the time comes want to make sure to get a good/fair deal.

If you have wooded land, why would you ever want rubber pads?

Quint

If you have wooded land, why would you ever want rubber pads?
Not sure. Thats what is on it now. My first excavator so still learning a big learning curve. Just thought they were designed that way, if I take them off it's just steel tracks then and good to go?

Primarily working on forested land, gravelly areas and dirt. Alot of solid rock under ground but were talking house size rock structure so be driving over the few exposed areas.

lantraxco

Don't know, looks like the steel chain option came with two bar grouser pads, and the rubber pads are an add on option. Intertractor is your friend, looks like they sell track groups and rubber shoes. The rubber shoes are listed for less than half what you posted up. If that's what you have, you can leave it or pop the rubber pads off, save them for if you need them, for concrete pads or asphalt driveways, like that.

Quint

Thanks Ill look into them. Appreciate it.

Here is a pick of the new old critter
nu3tmd1.jpg

Quint

Thanks MG and Lantraxco.

It was one of the better looking ones in my area even with the higher hours. Hopefully get some time this weekend to start playing around a bit. Appreciate the input and the forum in general, lots of good info.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
My gray market machine is very similar to yours and also came with those rubber pads... they got destroyed in 100 hrs on the rocky soil around here.
Wish I woulda pulled em all off to use for asphalt/city jobs.

tool_king had a manual for that machine... give him a shout out or maybe he’ll drop by.

make sure to use zinc free hydraulic fluid

Quint

My gray market machine is very similar to yours and also came with those rubber pads... they got destroyed in 100 hrs on the rocky soil around here.
Wish I woulda pulled em all off to use for asphalt/city jobs.

tool_king had a manual for that machine... give him a shout out or maybe he’ll drop by.

make sure to use zinc free hydraulic fluid

Thanks 673moto.

I already reached out to tool_king and he hooked me up with some manuals and parts list. I had read other threads where he helped out some others. Very grateful for him helping me out now as well.

Thanks for the advice on hydraulic fluid. Looks like JD and Hitachi use the zinc free stuff and its not very good at all to mix with the other kind. I plan on changing out the fluids and filters soon due to it being used so Ill be reading up for a bit.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I just did a full fluid/filter change a week ago. .. easy job... got a filter kit off ebay but had to go to Deere a couple hours away for the hitachi super ex hydraulic fluid.
Don’t forget the final drive gear oil

Quint

I just did a full fluid/filter change a week ago. .. easy job... got a filter kit off ebay but had to go to Deere a couple hours away for the hitachi super ex hydraulic fluid.
Don’t forget the final drive gear oil

Luckily have a hitachi/deere center about half hour away.

I figured delo 15w40 for the yanmar oil (like to keep it same as I put in my truck)
super ex for the hydraulic fluid
What all did you use for the final drives and coolant if ya dont mind?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Luckily have a hitachi/deere center about half hour away.

I figured delo 15w40 for the yanmar oil (like to keep it same as I put in my truck)
super ex for the hydraulic fluid
What all did you use for the final drives and coolant if ya dont mind?
75-90 gear oil but I can’t remember what type coolant ( I serviced all my equipment last week and it got hectic)... I’ll check tomorrow

Quint

75-90 gear oil but I can’t remember what type coolant ( I serviced all my equipment last week and it got hectic)... I’ll check tomorrow
Thanks.
Looking in the 35D op manual it calls for JD cool-gard so may just grab some of that while Im picking up hydraulic fluid and filters.
Thankfully I only have one excavator to service ...... for now :D

Quint

So quick question for you or anyone else that reads this. Looking in the 35D manual it calls for GL-5 for final drives and the ZX27U-2 manual I picked up calls for GL-4.
Both manuals are pretty much exactly the same and the maintenance section the only difference Ive scene so far is this.

Thanks

Quint

Picked up pretty much everything from Pape (JD/Hitachi) yesterday. Pricing on par with internet pricing and in some cases cheaper. The hyd fluid was pricey. Had no problems getting everything except the water separator which I will have to order (only thing that wasn't in stock).

Copied from the zx30u-2 manual with added numbers that showed up in stock system.

Filter Elements ZX30U-2
Full Flow Filter 4129280 (replaced by AT308568)
Hydraulic Oil Suction Filter 4617512
Pilot Filter 4294130
Engine Oil Filter 4641043 (replaced by MIU800651)
Fuel Filter 4626336 (replaced by MIU801267)
Water Separator 4632694 (only one I didnt order so not sure if part number changed)
Air Cleaner Element 4417516 (replaced by M131802)

Quint

Amateur question but what do each of these buttons do? I think the top two are Set and Select for the screen menu. Not sure about the two round ones. Wanted to add from what I have scene online those could be the auto idle and workmode?
yiWMiM3.jpg

Last edited:

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Not quite the same but close

Attachments

• D2F76DAC-2C15-4F94-96E3-D08B09B035D3.jpeg
    D2F76DAC-2C15-4F94-96E3-D08B09B035D3.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 7