• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ZX 160LC-3 Power Loss Under Load

Ted45

I have a 2010 Hitachi zx 160 lc-3 that will run perfect for 45 minutes or so before warning light comes on and all hydralic power is loss. Engine will run fine at high or low RPM's at this time as long as it not under a load. I shut it down and let it sit for a few minutes and back to work it goes for 10 minutes or before doing it again. After sitting over night it works fine agian for 45 minutes to 1 hour or so

02Dmax

Sounds like you've got a flow compensation valve sticking or not working correctly. Is it losing engine power? or hydraulic power? In other words, will the engine die or drop alot of rpm if you keep asking for more hydraulic power?

Ted45

I took to John Deere and they keep it 3 weeks and changed sensor on fuel rail and one the fuel pump. Did not help it. Their laptop said it is a fuel restriction, but we have done everything possible to clean tank, lines, filters, banjo bolts ect....

mikebramel

If you have solid feed pressure to the high pressure pump when this happens you may have a weak high pressure pump or an injector with too much leakage

Ted45

when i shut it off the fuel pump runs for a few seconds which is normal, but i can hear a gurgling noise inside fuel tank. Blockage ?

02Dmax

when i shut it off the fuel pump runs for a few seconds which is normal, but i can hear a gurgling noise inside fuel tank. Blockage ?

Gurgling could be air in the return fuel line entering the tank. I still think it's a hydraulic issue. I had a Cat do that exact same thing and it was the wiring going to a pressure compensation valve. Check all your wiring and plugs really well on your main hydraulic pump and your main control valve

garyw

Occupation
Plant Engineer

It would be better if you knew exactly what light was coming on. Even a description of it.
How quickly does the engine stall? Does is recover ok when you let the lever go or does it struggle slightly before recovering?
Those machines very rarely give hydraulic issues to be honest but it's not impossible
Have you checked the little gauze inside the banjo bolt where the delivery line meets the return line below the high pressure pump? The gurgling may be normal. That's the fuel returning to tank due to the supply pump working. The low pressure side should build to 4kPa and hold that pressure at all times when the engine runs. If that pressure drops it indicates a loss between the tank and filters. If it stays steady, it could be the gauze i mentioned or an issue with the pump/ injectors.

And i'm surprised if the Deere dealer had the software but couldn't find the issue

Ted45

The software stated a fuel supply issue. It is weird because it will run for a hours or so before it starts to act up. Then when fuel level drops below quarter of a tank it doesn't take 5 minutes. Note this is from start up in the mornings. It recovers as soon as i let the lever go. If i keep asking for more it finally start smoking and die out. I have it back at john deere i will post their findings as soon as they know.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Nice wording Mike .They sound like they have no clue and just threwing parts at it till something fixes it .

robmcallan

just wondering on the suction side you dont have a restriction right at the tank. something causing a partial blockage not allowing you to get your fuel flow. I have had a plastic bag give me issues before that was floating around the tank.(lost the fuel cap so the operator thought that was a good enough fix)

Ted45

I think i'm going to have them start at fuel tank and work their way back to i pressure fuel pump. i can't keep buying parts without a fix anymore.

robmcallan

yes it could the one test to do to determine if the issue is from the transfer pump back is to fill a jerry can of clean fuel and run a seperate line from the suction side of the transfer pump to the jerry can to see if the problem goes away. this is an easy way of eliminating problem areas

CatKC

[QUOTE="transfer pump back is to fill a jerry can of clean fuel and run a seperate line from the suction side of the transfer pump to the jerry can to see if the problem goes away. this is an easy way of eliminating problem areas[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard the term 'jerry can' used in -forever-.
In todays lunacy PC society someone would likely (I would especially think in Canada) -be offended- for some reason.
I have jerry cans I use all the time.