• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX60 URG

Mike59vette

Occupation
Auto Body Repair
Hi all, new to this forum. I have a gray market ex60 URG. Oil is pouring out from the drive motor area. I took the shield off thinking it was a hose no luck! Where do I start? Dose the track have to come off to remove the drive motor? Do I remove it from the inside or outside or do I call in the pros? Need some advice.
Mike

Lil' Puss

Hi all, new to this forum. I have a gray market ex60 URG. Oil is pouring out from the drive motor area. I took the shield off thinking it was a hose no luck! Where do I start? Dose the track have to come off to remove the drive motor? Do I remove it from the inside or outside or do I call in the pros? Need some advice.
Mike

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but do you have any manuals for it?
I just happened to run across this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-EX60-URG-excavator-parts-manual-/321209764128

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi Mike, 99% sure its the brake seals, easy enough repair, remove the motor easliy without taking the whole drive of! Remove ring of allen head bolts (behind the sheild) as well as 3 hoses, then theres a bevel washer/spring that holds the brake piston in! The piston will likely need a blast of air in the oil port to remove it!

The seals are fairly cheap, but may be hard the get on your side of the pond! I can supply they if your beat!

Aiden

Mike59vette

Occupation
Auto Body Repair
Hi Mike, 99% sure its the brake seals, easy enough repair, remove the motor easliy without taking the whole drive of! Remove ring of allen head bolts (behind the sheild) as well as 3 hoses, then theres a bevel washer/spring that holds the brake piston in! The piston will likely need a blast of air in the oil port to remove it!

The seals are fairly cheap, but may be hard the get on your side of the pond! I can supply they if your beat!

Aiden

Aiden,
Thank you
I will try to locate the seals locally any one on the east coast that you can refer?
Mike

Mike59vette

Occupation
Auto Body Repair
Ex 60 urg drive area leak

Aiden

Thank you for your response. I did as you stated, pulled the drive out, changed damaged seals put it back on. It started leaking in the same place as before, near the sprocket . I cannot see the leak location but it's pouring out as before. My question is dose the fluid flow from the drive motor to the outer housing ? or did I not replace the correct seals.
Mike

Mike59vette

Occupation
Auto Body Repair
Thank you for your response. I pulled the drive out, changed damaged seals put it back on. It started leaking in the same place as before, near the sprocket . I cannot see the leak location but it's pouring out as before. My question is dose the fluid flow from the drive motor to the outer housing ? or did I not replace the correct seals.
Mike

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
Is it leaking gear oil or hydraulic oil?

Leaking near the sprocket is where the floating seal (duo cone) seal is located.

Mike59vette

Occupation
Auto Body Repair
DSCN0940 (Small).JPGDSCN0934 (Small).JPGDSCN0936 (Small).JPGDSCN0937 (Small).JPGDSCN0938 (Small).JPGThanks for the reply its leaking hydraulic fluid. I pulled the unit out started to dissamble & got stuck ,can't get the stud out, not sure how it comes out or in? Can you help. see photos
mike

Billy O'Brien

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I see that this is an older post, but I'm having the same issue with an EX60URG that belonged to my father-in-law. We're trying to dust off the old excavator to help with some light land clearing and rural road construction in Alaska. A lot of good mechanics in the area, but no one that deals with Hitachi equipment regularly so I'd like to tackle this myself.

Family reported that the machine has had a "weak track motor" for some time, but I'm not sure if/how anyone came to that diagnosis. Using it last week it they reported it working well, then the hydraulics started slowing down and they just had to stop operation. I checked the hydraulic tank and found it pretty low so I poured 5 gallons into it and the machine started performing well. After bringing it down the road a bit the hydraulics started to slow so I hopped out and walked around to find fluid pouring out of one of the drive motors. I can't see exactly where its coming from but its leaking in near the frame and coming out of the bottom. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have worked a lot on diesel engines and my own vehicles, but this will be my first crack at an excavator. Any advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone has found a link to a parts/service manual in the last 6 years that would be awesome as well.

Many Thanks,
Billy

As an aside, the little Isuzu 4-banger in the machine runs like a champ!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Possible leak places include the swivel in the center of the machine, the hoses from the swivel to the travel motors and possibly the travel motors themselves. Most of the carbodies on the smaller machines don't have a swivel guard so you can look directly up at the swivel and the hose connections to check for the leaks.

Billy O'Brien

John,
Its definitely leaking out of the travel motor at the end of the track. You're right about the lack of a swivel guard on this machine. I've crawled under it and followed the lines coming from the body of the machine and there is no sign of a leak until I put my head under the travel motor, and well, you can actually stand a few feet away and see the fluid dripping out.

I'm going to try to include a photo. The leak is coming from under the frame where I have the red arrow drawn. From the outside of the tracks, you can see that the tracks have slung fluid on everything while I was moving, but you can't actually see the fluid running from that angle. Not sure if that info helps with any potential diagnosis. Any ideas on where to start, and any tips on removing the travel motor if it comes to that?

Many ThanksEX60URG Track Motor.jpg

John C.

Occupation
That looks to me like the final drive seal is leaking. I suspect the travel motor shaft seal is broken and hydraulic oil is going into the gear case and then leaking out the seal. There should be plugs on the other side of the final drive case for checking and changing the oil. It is likely if you remove one of the plugs you will get oil shooting out very suddenly.
That plate above your arrow should be removable and will expose the motor. Usually the motor can be removed without taking the gear case out of the track frame. In your case it looks like the motor has to come off before removing the gear case anyway. The gear case will have to be dismantled in order to replace the seal and the motor will likely have to be overhauled to fix the leak.

Billy O'Brien

Thanks John, I appreciate the diagnosis! Have you got any tips for removing the motor? Does the machine have to be lifted to take weight off the track or can I do this with the whole thing sitting on the ground? I know its not really a tire on a truck, but without having removed one of these before, I'm a little lost on where to start to do it safely.

I'm currently away for work but when I get home in a week I'll jump on this and update things as I plug along.

John C.

Occupation
You will have to break the track and lift the track frame up enough to clear the sprocket teeth from the track. There are a couple of different type of master pins for the track. One is a press fit and the other a loose fit. I don't know which your machine has. The press fit has a dimple or small blind hole on one or both ends. It will look different that the rest of the track pins. That's a small machine so you might be able to just heat the links to red and beat it out. However, I usually just buy a new pin and use a cutting torch to burn the center out. It will be easy to knock out at that point. That ring of larger bolts on the track frame are what hold the final drive in. You will need something to lift it out with. I would guess on that machine that it weighs at least a couple of hundred pounds. Mark the track frame with something to tell you where the hose fittings are supposed to be when you put it all back together. R & R the final is probably the easiest part of this job. Replacing the seals and recognizing what is worn out inside will be the hard part.

tim3250

John C.
I'm new interested in an excavator, retired aircraft mechanic, out here at the bottom of hawaii island, and i.m just one of many who appreciate all the grease and oil you've endured, and willing to share your knowledge