• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX200LC two speed

Mathew

My two speed is not working. In fact their is no electrical thing that work's on it but the starter. Can I hard wire with a switch to the high speed soliend to get my two speed to work? Does it make it go very fast when it is in high speed?

KenAl

The travel motors are fixed displacement on an EX200LC. As long as its not a -2 -3 or -5. Those have a high low shift on the motors.
The EX200LC uses a reduced RPM for low speed. There are 2 solenoids that are in the pump compartment that control hydraulic pilot pressure that go to 2 small cylinders that are attached to the engine throttle. On the dash there should be a power mode knob. P for power. E for economy. L for low.
P= full throttle as long as the hand throttle is at max and the cable is adjusted so the throttle linkage is at the max stop screw. E= the reduced RPM for fuel savings. L= is the low throttle setting about 1400rpm. Now if your auto idle was working it would activate the solenoid to push the cylinder on the throttle to the L mode rpm. When travelling only and not an upper function and you had it in turtle the solenoid for the E mode rpm would activate lowering the rpm. There was also some torque control on the pumps, but hardly noticeable.
Long story short. Low speed travel (turtle) lower rpm.

Mathew

Ok now I'm confused. The solenoids by the pumps the very bottom is for two speed. So just makeing it hot will not make me go faster? Do I have to make two of the solenoids hot? I did have a switch that has a rabbit and a turtle on it and I thought that was my two speed switch. Of course it or anything else that is electical does not work.

KenAl

One solenoid activates one small cylinder for E mode and slow speed travel. Approx 1800 rpm. The other solenoid activates the other small cylinder for L mode and auto idle. Approx 1400 rpm. If you look at the throttle linkage there is a big spring that holds the throttle on full rpm. When the cylinder is pushed out it drops the rpm to either 1800 rpm or 1400 rpm depending on which cylinder is activated. Hitachi usually (and in this case) supplies power to the solenoids and then controls the ground circuit. So there is constant power to the solenoids and the ground is controlled by an electric controller in the cab. If you have electrical problems you wont be able to get it working. Unless you bypass the whole system and wire it up yourself.
The rabbit and turtle is your 2 speed switch for travel. But as i explained all it does is knock down your rpm and retorque your pumps.

Mathew

Ok I think I got it. If nothing is working it is stuck in high then. If I understand it right if I wired it myself buy just putting juice to the solenoid's with a on off switch I would have to do it to all three solonoid's and then that would just put it into low drive. I thought it might be stuck in low range but if I understand it would already be in high. If that the case then I need not bother messing with it.