• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi Ex120 Problem

Jakex120

Wow..lots of new ex120 owners on here..have owned my Hitachi for several years now...most of you know this and it probably is already mentioned in this thread...if you have weak hydraulics and stalling always first check the screen filter in the fuel line banjo fitting..lots of crud in the fuel tank if original on these old ex120s...I also find that keeping the tank over half full slows the clogging of screen..good luck guys

chHart

I did the same conversion directions suck and no help. So I printed out all the pictures I could find showing hose routing and pump adapter. Ok got that, then could not find where hose went on valve block. I compared pictures of all the different kits for sale and found one part I didn't have and couldn't buy separately. It is an adaptor to replace DP sensor which is where hose goes. I took an old DP sensor I had took It apart, drilled It out brazed in a hose fitting sealed up the holes on the sides re installed Orings and it worked.
All functions work fast enough, Your not going to get the speed of a new machine but its workable.

Send me your email and ill send pics of what I followed. I don't know how to post pics.
Kevin

Thnk a lot jakex120 my unit not stalling but tends to be slow and hot hydraulics after 1 hr operation. My unit is already fittes with conversion kit. If anyone could provide instruction guide on the conversion kit just to check if the hydraulic his

hi capnkev!! read your post. may i request for the pictures on hw you went about the conversion kit. I just need to check installation on my unit thnks

chHart

I did the same conversion directions suck and no help. So I printed out all the pictures I could find showing hose routing and pump adapter. Ok got that, then could not find where hose went on valve block. I compared pictures of all the different kits for sale and found one part I didn't have and couldn't buy separately. It is an adaptor to replace DP sensor which is where hose goes. I took an old DP sensor I had took It apart, drilled It out brazed in a hose fitting sealed up the holes on the sides re installed Orings and it worked.
All functions work fast enough, Your not going to get the speed of a new machine but its workable.

Send me your email and ill send pics of what I followed. I don't know how to post pics.
Kevin

chHart

Good day capnkev!! read your post. Having the same problem connecting hoses from the conversion kit. Can you provide the pictures you worked out for theconversion kit? Thnk you mch it will helped a lot. My email rein1966.hj@gmail.com

Mark8

Kevin
Could you please send me the directions and pictures you followed. I’m having the same problem right now. My email
Is markolson99cummins@gmail.com. Thank you!

trevoratt

Occupation
Industrial/Heavy Equipment Mechanical Electrical T
hi all, does anyone have a electrical schematic for the Hitachi EX120 or a technical manual. can you email me trevoratt@gmail.com. Tracing back some wires on an old unit and got a few problems so harness rebuild in a while!! I'll get less of a headache with the schematics. Thanks in advance.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
There are threads here on HEF that contain links to a tech manual for an ex200- 2.... Or 3... Can't remember most of the content is completely applicable to the 120's with the exception of the obvious things... I don't remember which threads but there are a few... It's a several megabyte file on one of the file sharing sites.... Unless someone else can post it or the links up....

trevoratt

Occupation
Thanks Ronsil, i saw an EX200 manual but the pump look different and so does the control wiring. I'll keep looking for the -2 and -3

trevoratt

Occupation

Lex Carter

I have a customer with the Hitachi 120-3 the hydraulic system condition is excessive loading the motor on all functions it will barely move around the owner had it in a pit when problem started, he was able to get it up on the outside of pit. I'm going today to do a basic check on fuses and visual inspection of wiring harness. Does anyone have a service manual PDF file to share also if I find the electronics bad I will suggest the pump conversion. I would like the installation directions if anyone have them... I'm looking at a and for a good place to start diagnostics my e mail is lexc269@yahoo.cim thanks in advanced

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I have a customer with the Hitachi 120-3 the hydraulic system condition is excessive loading the motor on all functions it will barely move around the owner had it in a pit when problem started, he was able to get it up on the outside of pit. I'm going today to do a basic check on fuses and visual inspection of wiring harness. Does anyone have a service manual PDF file to share also if I find the electronics bad I will suggest the pump conversion. I would like the installation directions if anyone have them... I'm looking at a and for a good place to start diagnostics my e mail is lexc269@yahoo.cim thanks in advanced
I tried sending the tech manual but your email is kick back

arshad87

Kevin
my email: arshad_apandi@yahoo.com

Theoldbear

Occupation
RED SEAL HEAVY DUTY MECHANIC
Hi members sorry but I don't have a manual. A friend of mine has a Hitachi Ex120 - 2 that has been sitting not started for sometime the engine turns over but no smoke, fuel system is primed the owners said it always started and ran very good. I have not checked it out or seen the unit yet.
Just a little note I'm a old school retired Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic since 1968. I'm thinking this an electrical problem not mechanical any in put would help. Thank you all.
Best Regards
Fred Thompson

Theoldbear

Occupation
RED SEAL HEAVY DUTY MECHANIC
Hi members Fred here a friend has a EX 120-2 been parked sometime it has always ran well and started after parked this time engine cranks but no smoke and no start. Owners says the filters and pump are primed.
I have not seen the machine yet, any ideas. Pretty sure it's electrical. Thank you.
Best Regards
Fred Thompson [Theoldbear]
Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic since 1968
theoldbear@shaw.ca

Tags

Pretty sure that no smoke equals no fuel getting to the engine. Check the water separator, they had a tendency to leak, this would cause loss of prime. You could try priming it as well. Also, I belive one or two of the banjo bolts on the fuel line may have a screen in them that can get plugged up ....start with the easy stuff first