• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi dash 6 excavators fuel filter

Lewis Sutton

Hi all, looking for some advice. Every time I replace dash 6 fuel filters when servicing I always leave the ignition on for at least a minute before trying to restart the engine. Everyone the engine struggles to start. Is there something else I should be doing. Thanks in advance

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Hi all, looking for some advice. Every time I replace dash 6 fuel filters when servicing I always leave the ignition on for at least a minute before trying to restart the engine. Everyone the engine struggles to start. Is there something else I should be doing. Thanks in advance
On most units that I change fuel filters on I take rags and make them into a ball the size of a softball and put them over the tank filler neck. You then insert a 1/4 inch pipe blow gun or really any size under the rag ball and hold light pressure on the rag ball. Have someone put continous air into the tank at a slow but steady speed without putting too much presssure. You only need 1 PSI of air on top of the fuel and it will race threw the fuel system. If they start to put too much pressure it will start to want to vapour or spray out the rag. Make sure the person on the air gun is wearing glasses. Crank the engine for5 seconds and then wait a few seconds. I use this technique alot and most start up on first or second try. It is also a very good way to get oil to the pumps instantly on Hydraulic Tanks and also on Transmissions with filler necks such as Wheel loaders, Bulldozers when changing out the oil from these components. Hope this helps. Simon

LACHAU

After replacing the filter, have you performed air removal in the fuel system?

ISUZU-HITACHI ZX-6.png