• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hit by a car yesterday morning

colson04

I was headed out to chisel plow yesterday morning and got by a damn car. I left the farm headed north, flashers on, SMV sign visible, went a 1/4 mile to my turn and as got hit making a left turn by a kid in an 80s camaro thinking he's Burt Reynolds. It is a passing lane there, but I had the right of way. I used my blinker when making the turn, saw him approaching in my mirror, still in the right lane so I crept over to take the road and make it known that I was turning. He tried going through the shoulder on the far left of the road as I was mid turn. Bam.:mad: Hits the left rear of my plow.:mad: No seat belts for him or passenger. I call 911, they dispatch state trooper and first responder. Driver was ok, they were concerned that his passenger might have had a concussion. They were checking her out when the trooper said I could head on my way. Trooper told me the kid was getting multiple tickets. No damage to my rig. Messed up his bumper, grill, fender and hood. Eye witness following him saw the whole thing and stayed to give a statement.

So please, watch out. It is that time of year again.

How he thought he was going around me still baffles me.
IMAG0412.jpg

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Glad there was no damage to you or the equipment.

Field work will be starting shortly here, at the same time people turn into bigger idiots than normal when driving.

Ed

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Glad your ok. I read an article in a farm paper that said following a tractor for 2 km. Only slows someone down about the same as stopping at two red lights in town. Doesn't seem like much to risk your life and someone else's for. A good friend of mine got put in the hospital by an A-hole Driving drunk he was in a ford 9000 and it hit so hard it tore the cab off. ( it's been a quite a while I think it was a 9000) the crash killed the drunk. He was a person of some fame so the media was wringing there hands about poor so and so, the SOB. if the crash didn't kill him he should of been hanged

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Wife an I always try to give farm equipment all the room we can. We both understand even with all the best mirrors there are too many blind spots.

And I have driven follow car several times moving things like large front end loaders, scrappers, haul trucks and cranes, can not believe how little concern some people have for something that big. They will tailgate a 10 yard loader like it was a Mini-Cooper and then pass and cut in like that machine could stop on a dime.

I would love it if someone hauling one of those big liquid tankers would just "accidently" bump the PTO lever when someone is doing that sh!t!

Ruger_556

I always worry about this when I'm moving equipment, no crumple zones on farm equipment so it's really easy for someone to die if they hit you in the wrong place.

colson04

Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. Still pisses me off. Glad his passenger is alright. If he had not hit the brakes as hard as he did it would have been her life. 4,500 pound car doesn't beat the 35,000 pound tractor and plow.

Best line I heard during the trooper's interview of the driver "but it was a passing lane officer"

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
First off, I'm not a person thats in a hurry.....oncoming farm equipment, I pull into a driveway, it's the easiest way to give the operator a clear right of way.

If I come up behind, I hang back and hit the flashers. They get a place to move over, they'll wave you by.

My friend that works our property had an interesting one, met a car in the middle of a freeway overpass. She stopped, he stopped. She got out screaming that he needed to back up. LMAO.....he told her, wasn't happening. Steiger, disk & packer, "I've got all day, go ahead call the sheriff", she finally backed up and let him through.

Ed

icestationzebra

Had plenty of close calls on our farm over the years, glad nobody got hurt.

BTW - Is that a row crop special? I thought they were they only 9250's with outboard planetary axles but I dont see the decal. Had one when I worked for CaseIH. Good tractor either way. ISZ

colson04

It doesn't say it anywhere if it is a row crop special. I don't really know much about Case or International tractors.

We pretty much bleed green since our local Deere dealer is 5 miles from our farm and we get top notch service from doing business with them for 40 years now. We bought this Case because we needed some cheap horsepower and wanted the convenience of a powershift transmission. It was for sale locally from a guy downsizing and price was right because it had sat for a couple years prior to our purchase of it. It had bad algae issues when we got it, and some broken pushrods, but we got it sorted out over the winter about 8 years ago and it's been pretty solid ever since. Might put 200 hours a year on it. Only downside is that it is light for a 300 hp tractor. It could use some ballast to stop the powerhop, but we haven't taken the time to deal with.

icestationzebra

The row crop special has a steerable front axle in adition to normal articulation. Allows minor adjustments while row crop cultivating, planting, etc. without the tail wag and tighter turn on the headlands. Not suprised it is light, dont see any ballast on the front unless you have fluid filled tires? I could never figure out why they didnt sell more 9250s - compared to a 7250 or 7240 it had ~100 more hp, better traction/flotation, better visability, and was a little cheaper. 9270 and 9280 where the workhorses and had the bulk of sales. They made 9210 and 9230's also for dairy farmers, but I rarely see them.

I grew up in an area with Deere, IH and AC as the major brands. None of the dealers had a clear advantage over the others. I saw the same thing when I worked for CaseIH, each OEM has their strong and weak points so dealer support usually dictates which brand rules an area.

ISZ

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I read this thread the other day and thought, DAMN that coulda been bad..
I was runnin the roads yesterday w/ the wife & came up on a tractor.. I had an instant flashback to this thread.. so I hung back and waited.. Another car came up behind me & wasn't as patient..
He whipped around me & the tractor.. didnt see the oncoming dump truck.. He ended up in the ditch on the left side of the road w/ everyone blowing their horns.. I stopped & went back, the DT kept going & so didnt the tractor.. The guy was ok, so after a few choice words, I left him in the ditch to find his own way out..

colson04

Wow. Well, I hope he **** his pants and learned a cheap lesson.

I was moving fields yesterday in a different tractor and had another guy get right up on my tail and then hug the center line like he was about to pass. Again, I was getting ready to make a left turn. I flipped on my blinker, and to my surprise, he just stopped and patiently waited for me to enter the field.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I always worry about this when I'm moving equipment, no crumple zones on farm equipment so it's really easy for someone to die if they hit you in the wrong place.
Crumple zones on farm and construction equipment are identified as 'the other stuff involved in the collision'

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The row crop special has a steerable front axle in adition to normal articulation. Allows minor adjustments while row crop cultivating, planting, etc. without the tail wag and tighter turn on the headlands. Not suprised it is light, dont see any ballast on the front unless you have fluid filled tires? I could never figure out why they didnt sell more 9250s - compared to a 7250 or 7240 it had ~100 more hp, better traction/flotation, better visability, and was a little cheaper. 9270 and 9280 where the workhorses and had the bulk of sales. They made 9210 and 9230's also for dairy farmers, but I rarely see them.

I grew up in an area with Deere, IH and AC as the major brands. None of the dealers had a clear advantage over the others. I saw the same thing when I worked for CaseIH, each OEM has their strong and weak points so dealer support usually dictates which brand rules an area.

ISZ
Worked with more than a few 9250 RC specials, they had inboard planetaries and slider axles in addition to the steerable front axle.

icestationzebra

I always roll my eyes when people talk about 'the most dangerous' jobs in north america and farming isnt mentioned or down the list. Average person doesnt realize that when farmers get hurt there isnt an OSHA/MSHA or safety dept investigation. Nobody hears about it unless they get maimed or die. I know at least 3 times I lucked out and didnt get seriously hurt or worse.

Plus it continues to amaze me how people will walk right behind running equipment.

Good luck during planting season!. ISZ

Jonas302

We are on the road a lot with equipment almost every day it just seems people have a death wish the way they drive I figure I must be pretty good they are always waving the number one sign to me out the window I just smile and wave laugh a little how stupid they are

colson04

We farm a field about a mile from our dairy that comes right out flat to the road. Has a ditch, but it's so full it's pretty much flat to the roadway now. Its a stoney SOB that requires hours of picking every year. 2 years ago the planter rolled a couple large 150+ pound rocks up that had been missed right near the road. Must have just barely been covered. Anyways, we never made it back down there to get them out of the field before the corn got tall enough to cover them. About the third week of June we drove by and saw that someone had driven off into the field, done some donuts and tore up the field. Went right over one of those rocks and tore a hole in their transmission pan. There was an oil trail down the road from where they exited the field to where their truck lay dead on the side of the road, about a mile up the road. Sometimes karma catches them instantly :D

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We farm a field about a mile from our dairy that comes right out flat to the road. Has a ditch, but it's so full it's pretty much flat to the roadway now. Its a stoney SOB that requires hours of picking every year. 2 years ago the planter rolled a couple large 150+ pound rocks up that had been missed right near the road. Must have just barely been covered. Anyways, we never made it back down there to get them out of the field before the corn got tall enough to cover them. About the third week of June we drove by and saw that someone had driven off into the field, done some donuts and tore up the field. Went right over one of those rocks and tore a hole in their transmission pan. There was an oil trail down the road from where they exited the field to where their truck lay dead on the side of the road, about a mile up the road. Sometimes karma catches them instantly :D

Rolling it onto the roof and placing one of them rocks on the bottom painted up with a smiley face would have been fitting.