• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

History of the Columbia trailer company

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Have any of you guys heard of Bre-x the gold mining scam. Columbia-Remtec was building big logging trailers for a company in Indonesia. The GM went there to see what was required. While there he heard something about a gold find few knew about. When he came home he told me, the share price was about 2 bucks. I didn't do anything, the share price jumped past 200 bucks even though it was a scam anyone in early got rich. All I got was a story of what could have of been. :(
Bre-X was a big time scam that fooled a lot of people who were supposedly "smart". The chief geologist conveniently fell out of a helicopter to his death.
Jeff

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Another 70's story, no tanks to build in the tank shop, we were were building chip box b-train's and working on pre load bunks, these bunks were big, there were about 3 at the south end of the shop, new chip boxes about 20 ft away. I picked up a bunk to move it and the overhead crane started heading north on its own, no panic button on the controls and I was panicing. I'm holding the contols moving with the bunk and the only thing I could think of was hit the south button, the crane slows and is kind of moving back and forth when the breaker blows. Same thing happened to another guy but he was on the top rail of a chip box facing south. He was moving something and the crane started heading south this time he got about half way the length of the chip box when I yelled at him to hit the north button, blew the breaker again. I think they must of fixed the cranes in the tank shop because I do not remember any more issues with them

Attachments

• old logging truck.jpg
    old logging truck.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 27

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Tiny stakes, Columbia's normal looging trailer was a 20 ton, I couldn't guess what that thing hauled
It looks like 20 tons or more to me. Those stakes were used in the 50’s - many still used cheese blocks at that time. Go to Hayes thread - some years ago I posted some Hayes HD adds with information about trailers/stacks

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
lumberjacks_british_columbia%2B%25288%2529.jpg

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
It looks like 20 tons or more to me. Those stakes were used in the 50’s - many still used cheese blocks at that time. Go to Hayes thread - some years ago I posted some Hayes HD adds with information about trailers/stacks
I believe those are "carco" stakes, and I think carco also made winches and were the predecessor to paccar

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I believe those are "carco" stakes, and I think carco also made winches and were the predecessor to paccar[/QUOTE]

You are correct, but they were actually called "Seattle stakes" since Pacific Car and Foundry (later Carco) was headquartered in Seattle. Actually, Renton just South of Seattle.

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
I believe those are "carco" stakes, and I think carco also made winches and were the predecessor to paccar

You are correct, but they were actually called "Seattle stakes" since Pacific Car and Foundry (later Carco) was headquartered in Seattle. Actually, Renton just South of Seattle.[/QUOTE]
I have heard them called Seattle stakes, just remember my dad telling me "carco" when I was a young lad ! Interestingly, many years back saw them on top of some taller stakes on a gypo off-hiway truck working out of white river weyco

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I have heard them called Seattle stakes, just remember my dad telling me "carco" when I was a young lad ! Interestingly, many years back saw them on top of some taller stakes on a gypo off-hiway truck working out of white river weyco[/QUOTE]

Would those have been the Emerik (sp?) trucks?

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
I have heard them called Seattle stakes, just remember my dad telling me "carco" when I was a young lad ! Interestingly, many years back saw them on top of some taller stakes on a gypo off-hiway truck working out of white river weyco

Would those have been the Emerik (sp?) trucks?[/QUOTE]
no, was an old,old mack nti had for a while, hauled for rawson, parked it by the sort yard- emerick trucks hauled out of smay creek