• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hino Spigot shaft/Brg wear. I'm a real green horn Please be gentle.

Kiwi Will

I haven't done much truck driving compared with most if not all you fellas Nor had I done a truck clutch before so am scratching my head lots.
Truck is a 1988 10 tonne flat deck with hoist, semi retired Hino GD166B. It's being used mostly for firewood delivery.
Clutch rusted up after sitting for more than a year. I dropped the gearbox using the electrically operated hoist as a lifting & lowering system. That worked well.
Removed Clutch cover & plate, and fly wheel. (Cover on its own, seems to weigh more than the flywheel ! )
Got a new clutch kit and spigot Brg and now when measuring the hole to make up a lining up dowel for when its re assembled, I found spigot shaft 0.04 - 0.06 mm ( >0.00223 decimal inches) undersize. This means that I can slide the bearing onto the shaft easily & I'm sure it will wobble around in the bearing. I think that some may think it's not great slop but it's more than I feel comfortable with, but then I like things right. I get called a perfectionist or just too damb fussy.

What suggestions do you reckon you can give ?
Replace the shaft? That would be far bigger cost than I want to spend.
Is it able to be turned down a touch, say... have a millimeter and a smaller I.D. Brg fitted ?
Turn it down and put a bush on the spigot shaft ?
or
Throw it back together with the new bits in it and drive it until it dies ?
or
Sell da ol' girl assembled with the new bits in it ?

I estimate the motor has not got anymore than 100 - 200km left in it before the inspections tell me to take it off the road for the reason of it having too much of a dirty exhaust.
Trucks replacement 2nd/hand motor (fan to flywheel) is around $4500
Trucks worth around $8 - 10K

Would really appreciate your comments
Cheers

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi Kiwi Will. Sounds like your describing what we call the pilot bearing for the transmission input shaft nose. I've never really measured them to see what kind of tollerence they typically have, but .06mm (.002 inch) sounds proper to me. The nose of the tranny shaft shouldn't be a tight or even snug fit inside the pilot bearing. If it were, you would have trouble engaging tranny gear when you disengage the clutch because a snug pilot bearing would continue turning the tranny shaft. I say put it together and burn diesel fuel. ;)

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Hi Kiwi Will. Sounds like your describing what we call the pilot bearing for the transmission input shaft nose. I've never really measured them to see what kind of tollerence they typically have, but .06mm (.002 inch) sounds proper to me. The nose of the tranny shaft shouldn't be a tight or even snug fit inside the pilot bearing. If it were, you would have trouble engaging tranny gear when you disengage the clutch because a snug pilot bearing would continue turning the tranny shaft. I say put it together and burn diesel fuel. ;)

I'll second that.I have installed a few clutchs and never had one to fit tight.