• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

high pressure side of hydraulic pump

Shupolish

I need to remove the hydraulic pump to change the fan belt on my Case 580 CK. The discharge side of the pump has a flare nut connection on a steel line shaped like a number 7. I can get the flare nut to move but it won't spin on the steel line. I tried holding the line and turn the nut but I only start to crush the pipe. I heated the nut and shot it with every kind of lubricant that I can find but I can't get the nut to spin on the pipe. I think I may have to cut it off unless someone could give me a hot tip. If I have to cut it, can anyone tell me the part number for this pipe? Can I have a hose made with this flare connection? It's not a regular hydraulic fitting. Sure would appreciate any help from anyone who may have had this trouble.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Try placing a hammer or other piece of steel on one side of the nut and strike the opposite flat with a hammer, do this on as many surfaces as you can with something behind for the "anvil" effect ,,rarely ever fails with air or hydraulic lines,,,Don't know what kind of tools you have available, but an air hammer used in a similar fashion works well in tight spots where you can't swing a hammer.... Just read Dave's post and totally agree, the o-ring JIC fitting has to be secured or the nut isn't coming loose...

Last edited:

Shupolish

Thanks for all the replies. The fitting into the pump is not turning. I can rock the nut back and forth on the threads as far as the pipe allows. It's as though the nut and pipe are one. I have tried the hammer trick and it allowed the nut to turn as far as it doe's but it didn't release the pipe from the nut. I tried to break the other end connection but it's so tight I can't break it, even with cheaters on the wrenches. At 72 years old I guess I'm not as strong as I used to be. I've also tried to pull the pump away but the connected steel line won't allow enough movement. It looks like I'll have to cut it. Can this line be replaced with a hose instead of steel?

Tinkerer

Sometimes those steel lines have a sleeve under the nut. It reinforces the flare on the tube. They do seize onto the pipe. If it has one you will see the shoulder of it exposed a little way beyond the nut. When tightening the two fittings together it can rotate on the steel line until the nut forces the flare against male fitting.
If you cannot break the two steel lines loose where they are coupled together try tightening and then loosening the two fittings ever so slightly several times. I have had good results doing that, sometimes.
If the pipe in the coupling is sized to the fitting like it is on the pump fitting try heating it.
Those lines can be replaced with a hose. I have done it.
Take the steel lines anywhere that makes hoses and they should be able to make one.

Delmer

The other option is segmented v belt, they're pricey but not compared to hydraulic hoses. they hold up just fine.