1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

High cattle prices here to stay?

Discussion in 'Agricultural Operations' started by JBGASH, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

.RC.
    Hopefully, prices can only improve in the future.
    Plans for another new major processing facility at Toowoomba sound encouraging.
    I just pray that our Fed. Govt. has enough nous not to upset our northern neighbours over recent events.
    Cheers, Greg

2. Old Junk Man

Old Junk Man Well-Known Member

retired
    11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
    back in 2012 I had 120 acres of grass and no cattle. I hauled semi loads of hay to Texas. And I bought a couple dozen skinny texas cows that where bred for $450 each. I sold the calf crop twice for more than I paid for the cows. and then I sold the cows the cheapest one brought $1475. I have two cows left a JerseyXangus and a holstienXangus . The price wont hold. everyone is keeping hefers. And folks are being weaned from beef. Pork is filling the gap along with chicken. I give it three years and the market will fall below profit level. I don't eat beef. Grass fed isn't very good. and feedlot beef is full of growth hormones and the chemicals needed to keep them alive from the myrad of diseasesthey get in close confinement. I eat home grown chicken, tame rabbit, potbelly pig, young goat and lots of deer.

3. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . .

Old Junk Man.

Sounds like some real good eating right there . . . I must say I do enjoy grass fed beef though, especially a brisket slow smoked in the drum or on the Weber. (big grin and a drool)

Cheers.

4. Old Junk Man

retired
    Since the stock market has turned sour the cattle prices have fallen a bit. the goat & sheep prices have gone up a bit at the auction at Koskonog Mo.

5. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

Cattle prices continue to climb over here.... although still not at the lofty highs enjoyed being enjoyed by our American friends.
    One example of how quickly things are moving is the Queensland cattle marketing index which provides a daily snapshot of all the markets around the state.
    Started in1985 with a base score of 100 points, it took 30 years to, consistently, reach 200 but only another 6 months get to 300.
    Currently around 330 and showing no signs of stopping any time soon.

6. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

7. Old Junk Man

retired
    Feeder cattle prices really took a hit this past week. below $2 per pound. some hefers sold a $1.40 at Pocahontas last week. Bred cows and cow calf pairs still where high.

8. JBGASH

JBGASH Senior Member

Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
    Yes the trend was a lot lower 4-6 weights steers & heifers were $10-20.00 per hundred lower. Still at profitable levels but compared to last year appox $100 per calf less income...