• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

High-Capacity Bucket?

Bote

My Case dealer made me a good price on a 24" high-capacity bucket. It's new but he's had it for a long time; he said he'd like to sell it. The price is the same as a used standard bucket. It's taller than a standard bucket and the brackets are much heavier steel. Is there any disadvantage to a high-capacity bucket other than heavier weight? I'm just wondering why he's had it so long and why he's selling it so cheap.

SlatcoAu

Load that bucket up heaped with your extend a hoe out and swing it 90 degrees and see what happens. Things get a little tippy. If you are moving lighter materials it is probably ok but I tend to stick with what the OEM recommends for bucket size.

Delmer

Who knows? maybe just not a popular option because a backhoe is used more for digging in oddball conditions, street/utility stuff, more so than hogging material like an excavator would be loading trucks all day for weeks at a time.

The high capacity will have less digging force because of the height, so will work best for loose material, or easy digging. I've used a 18", 24", 30" and 42" ditching bucket on a backhoe, they can all make the machine rock when full and you swing too fast/stop to fast. The ditching bucket would pull a pile of muck several times bigger than would lift in the bucket, so very useful if you didn't have to dump it all at the far reach. Just have to know what they're good for and how to use them I guess.

Worst case, you hate it and take a torch and welder to it, in a few hours you'll have a standard capacity heavy duty bucket:D

Bote

It's an OEM Case bucket so it's designed for my machine but the weight is a concern. My 580Ms not an extendahoe. He said it weighs about 530# which is about 200 more than a standard 24" and about 100 more than a heavy-duty 24". He also said he thought it was an .85 yard capacity and a standard 24" was .77 yards. I'm moving mostly wet clay. With a .85 yard capacity and wet clay that would be about 3000#. I figure a load with my current 18" bucket weighs about 1800#. Any 24" bucket I get is going to be more tippy than my 18".

The digging force is a concern with the heavy clay and roots at my place. I thought that might be a factor due to the different geometry.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
This covers bucket compatibility up to 580SL, since you have an M it will be very much like the L. It is for the increased rotation coupler but also cover capacity.

Attachments

• bucket compatability.pdf
    595.2 KB · Views: 15

Bote

Thanks for the info. Per the chart, it appears the High Capacity bucket would be fine. As a new bucket with nice paint I’m sure he wouldn’t want me to try before buy. Also, the original price for it was over $2k so that’s most likely why it’s been sitting for so long.
Man, there are so many different buckets. Probably very little difference between them. Aside from the weight, I doubt I could tell any difference between them. I asked the dealer what he normally sells; he said just depends on what the customer wants. New machines are ordered without buckets. He stocks mostly 24” heavy duty universal buckets and one 36”. Doesn’t stock the GP trenching buckets.
I’ve looked at a lot of buckets and most of the used ones for sale locally are aftermarket and appear to be lighter duty (thinner steel for brackets, less reinforcement, etc.). Many of them have been repaired.

Delmer

I'm assuming you're talking about this bucket: 24” Hi-Cap 141232A1
The other older high capacity 24" bucket will not fit the new coupler, which I assume you have with an M. but the new coupler might be standard on an SM and optional on an M.

As far as the bucket, if you want a 24" bucket in addition to your 18" then this is a no brainer. If you need to dig something tough, just use the 18". The 24" high capacity will be something like a 30" standard bucket, so not any huge jump, just a bigger bucket that is fine for most digging. Like I said, you could cut the bottom off the sides and pull the floor up, reweld it, and you'd have a heavy duty, standard capacity bucket in a few hours.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Remember you can always scoop a load in the loader bucket to offset weight. I don't have to do it very often but it's a good offset when I try to transport a heavy tree or stump with my thumb.

Bote

Today, I cleared out an area in a creek where water was backing up. There were lots of roots and a pretty big stump. My 18” bucket was perfect for that. I wonder how a 24” would have performed. It took longer to get to the spot the than it did to dig (cut trees). In a few months, I’m having several acres cleared of trees then I’m digging a series of ponds with the TLB. It would be nice to have one all-around bucket.

Bote

The dealer dropped the price a couple hundred more and I bought it outright. He had offered to trade for my 18" but in reality was only allowing me $500 so I just kept it. The p/n is 87724907. An unexpected benefit is the extra weight on the back makes my TLB "bounce" less on the road.