• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Here's a bit of history-still happening-FMC/KMC

69hayes

Occupation
Marine Engineer,
I try to forget holding the drive pin while the boss swung the BFH at it, got a little better when we welded a long handle to the drive pin and I could hold my hands and head a little further away, I used to dream about a way to hydraulically push those stubborn pins out.

lg junior

Fitzpatrick;

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you changed bushings. There used to be quite a few Fmc's in the area, but they have slowly vanished as have the people who serviced them. For speech not being your native tongue I think you did an awesome job of answerjng questions that have been bothering me for sometime. Thanks again, I have an idea where to start now that's more than I had a while ago.

Leonard

fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick;

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you changed bushings. There used to be quite a few Fmc's in the area, but they have slowly vanished as have the people who serviced them. For speech not being your native tongue I think you did an awesome job of answerjng questions that have been bothering me for sometime. Thanks again, I have an idea where to start now that's more than I had a while ago.

Leonard
Glad to help. That part about the bushing angle is the critical thing. I made my press out of scrap thinking I'll perfect it later but as usual just made do with what I had.

I may take a road trip this winter down your way. Change one swamp for another. If you could stand a brief visit let me know. Brian

fitzpatrick

I try to forget holding the drive pin while the boss swung the BFH at it, got a little better when we welded a long handle to the drive pin and I could hold my hands and head a little further away, I used to dream about a way to hydraulically push those stubborn pins out.

Hi 69hayes: I guess you are trying to forget the heavy vibration holding the drive pin that would be created when the boss didn't get the hammer on perfectly. I had one helper who would start yelling before I finished the swing. I guess the suspense was too much. LOL

I made up a thing for getting the pins started. 3' of 3/4" round stock with a piece about a foot long welded crossways at one end. I called it 'the putter.' I'm sure you did the same. A soft sledge of about 5 pounds for a starter, then put the long end in and so on. If you can get a Railroad Hammer that has a mushroom head and a narrow opposite end, I found this to be great for starting. Could hold the railroad hammer easily on the end of the pin while the fat end was easy to hit. Could start most pins without a helper who had to hold the putter while I carefully aimed the sledge at the narrow 3/4" starter.

Was digging footings for Hydro over your way on the Cheekeye-Dunsmuir Loop with the 580 Case mounted on the FMC way back when the ice really got melting. I was hurriedly changing a track pin just before pickup with the chopper. Working alone. Holding a short piece of 3/4" round stock for a simple starter and swinging the hammer was working out okay until I turned my head when I heard my ride coming. Broke my hand. Had a few shots at the Wakefield. I learned to use the left one a lot more. No time off. No big deal. AAAAArrrrggghh! LOL

fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick;

Leonard

Hi again:

Just thought of this. If the bushing bore is even a bit, a tiny bit elongated, the bushing life will be shortened, sometimes real short. Discouraging but in a pinch you will get a few more hours out of the pad. If Danzco Machine, somewhere in Oregon is still making T-bars, don't hesitate to buy their bars. I bought 12 at once for a complete change over of one machine, giving me two spares. I never regretted it. Way cheaper and superior to the FMC bar. I'm going back 30 years but try your luck. B

lg junior

Fitzpatrick;

I would enjoy a visit if you get down this way. Sure do appreciate all the advice, I can always learn something new. When I quit learning should be about the time they are throwing dirt in my face.

fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick;

I would enjoy a visit if you get down this way. Sure do appreciate all the advice, I can always learn something new. When I quit learning should be about the time they are throwing dirt in my face.

Hi lg junior:

That sounds good to me. My email is fitz.nv@shaw. Get back to me with yours and we can get organized but wont be right away. I'm already looking forward to the drive. Brian

fitzpatrick

Hey Fitz, I think I have dozens of slides of your FMC when you were working for M&B. Not sure though if it was yours or Froese's FMC....

Hi trakloader; Very kind of you. There was another guy at Juskatla that winter, from Hope I believe. If you do have a few pics of my FMC I would be pleased to see them. A blast from the past. 1977. I would certainly pay you for developing costs or what ever to make me a copy. Here is my email: fitz.nv@shaw.ca. The moderator may require approvals from me and if so no problem.

trakloader

I will have to dig them up, there were probably at least 100 slides of the FMC, in the Canoe/Florence Creek area. Looked to be not going too well in that country. I have Super8 footage of it too.

fitzpatrick

Hi Trakloader: I actually remember being filmed. Guess that must of been you!

Oh what I would give to get some of that steam back in my cylinders today. Oh well, I'd probably be in jail within a week. Thanks for your consideration. Brian

fitzpatrick

wasn't me, I was not born yet, lol! I salvaged the film etc. when WFP scrapped 60 years of archives at Juskatla a few years ago.

Sheesh! Time flies when having fun. If you wish, you could mail them to me, I'll sort through, get copies made of what interests me and then mail it all back to you. Naturally I will cover all postage and a bonus. Thanks

fitzpatrick

Hi: Yeah, that's me alright. I remember that day. I was getting a bit of a trail established to get better production in that mess. After the camera guy left I got things flowing. In fact M&B figured I was making too much money and wanted to cut back my rate which was based on production. I was averaging about 4 to 5 highway loads per day working alone.

They told me I had to stay and work for less. I told them all I had to do was die. I got the machine on the next barge which was in our agreement. The barge was due in camp in just a few days and I was at home at Whistler within 3 days and skiing. I should have never left.

If you have anymore send them on youtube but I would like to see the slides to pick a few I like. You know blow them up. Buy some beer. The older I get, the better I was. LOL

Puffie40

Oh wow! That is actually really cool! Neat to see they actually used the rubber-lined roadwheels and spoked idlers from the military crawler when they first started.

I managed to get my hands on a operators manual for the BG. Looks like it used a "Omark-Prentice" loader, and with no mention of a turntable on the operator's seat, the controls look really awkward to use. My spine cramps up just thinking about it!

Apparently, the UNBC has a small collection of forestry shots starring an FMC skidder: http://search.nbca.unbc.ca/;search?query=FMC