• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Here we go again 140M DOWN

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
What elevation are you at? If you’re at a high elevation, those boost #’s might not be out much. More important is if there’s much oil in the hot pipes or cold pipes on the turbo. Is there a chance that it consumed oil on days it did a lot of idling or got ran hard?

20/80

Occupation
operator
We are at sea level or alittle above mostly, its hard to pin point, some days your fine then it will take oil all of a sudden, we never really checked the hot and cold pipes on the turbo but there's oil out the exhaust, we have a hint of coolant smell when you start it now, not sure what's going on there yet, i'm running a 140m2 for the last couple of weeks with a reman in it and has not taken a drop of oil so far.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Are you guys paid by the mile or by the hour?

I'm paid by the hour. In return I expect to provide the most productivity I can. If the machine I'm running is not functioning at maximum productivity it is my responsibility to report that and expect resolution. If disruption or below par production continues it is my responsibility to push the manufacturer for improvement. I'm not into sitting on the sideline, on the clock, with no productivity. When our machine is sitting in my driveway with a tech working on it I am not on the clock. I only clock hours when productive.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well... we have another problem on our 08 140m, on our circle gear for the blade, a month ago the operator was doing some ditching and the pinion shaft snapped and the cog fell out on the ground, not a big deal, we ordered a new pinion and gear but our parts clerk ordered aftermarket parts not Cat, everything fitted ok but shortly after being used the oil in the circle gear was getting extremely hot and the blade would bind, pinion and gear looked fine so we changed out the gear motor looked at the shims for the clutches everything looks fine, worked good for about a day and a half now the blade is binding again and the oil is at normal temp not hot like before, kinda scratching our heads on this issue, any idea's?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Has the circle been adjusted recently? I've seem plenty of blade circles that only run on about one third of the circle. The wear is all in one place and then some one adjusts the circle to the worn spot. A new operator then starts using the grader on the less worn areas of the gear, such as for ditching, and everything there is real tight. Adjusting a circle is as much about feel as it is setting clearances according to the book. Even at the dealerships in my days, there were only a couple of guys that would be asked to do it.

20/80

Occupation
operator
the bind is in the gear box, we are now going to replace the brass bushings that the pinion sits in and all the bearings and races, there was some play in the brass bushing that the pinion slides in, not sure what aftermarket suppler, the boxes they come in look like Cat products but are not, the circle had new shims and plastic wear pads put in about a month and a half ago, everything worked fine after the install.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Sorry you are having this problem.....

I have no patience for "aftermarket" parts. China and others have filled this country with junk aftermarket parts. Tolerances are horrible. I don't even blame the workers. I blame brand names like CAT, Deere, etc. They are allowing their name to be put on these parts with substandard quality. Shame on them.

Hope you get a solution soon. That would be very aggravating!!!!

20/80

Occupation
operator

I have no patience for "aftermarket" parts. China and others have filled this country with junk aftermarket parts. Tolerances are horrible. I don't even blame the workers. I blame brand names like CAT, Deere, etc. They are allowing their name to be put on these parts with substandard quality. Shame on them.

Thanks, I agree with you on aftermarket parts, its all about the savings to the bean counters, 5 day wait for the aftermarket parts while Cat would have them at the door the next morning, down time means nothing anymore, it is aggravating to say the least.

Vetech63

Has the circle been adjusted recently? I've seem plenty of blade circles that only run on about one third of the circle. The wear is all in one place and then some one adjusts the circle to the worn spot. A new operator then starts using the grader on the less worn areas of the gear, such as for ditching, and everything there is real tight. Adjusting a circle is as much about feel as it is setting clearances according to the book. Even at the dealerships in my days, there were only a couple of guys that would be asked to do it.
This^^^

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well I haven't posted in a while, are winter works is coming to a end soon, did not have a busy winter here to say the least but did get out a far bit, well the problems with our 140m has not gone away, it still takes a couple of liters of oil a shift and now is going threw anti freeze, about a gallon every other shift, also we are getting a rumble in the brake peddle when pressed and its throwing a code saying low brake pressure, the anti freeze problem Cat just said to fill it to the add mark because filling it to the full mark the engine must be blowing it out the overflow, so yesterday I was ice blading and left the shop with the anti freeze level on the add mark and the temp gauge was on the first part of the red mark most of the day even threw a code saying hi anti freeze temp but no light came on, now we cleaned our rad to no end to make sure that's not the problem, so when I returned to the base you could not see the anti Freeze in the tank, this morning it was back to the add mark? as for the low pressure code in the brakes we called Cat and they seem to think it was just from the machine sitting for a couple of day's without being used.. not a issue? now when the machine is idling and you take the oil filler plug out is there suppose to be steam or smoke coming out of the tube? I believe the oil and anti freeze is going out the exhaust, there is no leaks anywhere with a small hint of anti Freeze smell from time to time but not often, this new reman engine has no power at all and you are always grabbing for gears to keep her moving forward, that's my rant for today, oh yeah... I may be getting my 140H sadly replaced, a new 150AWD M series, ohhh Dear!

lantraxco

I dislike unfair competition, but you can't blame China and their factories for this cheap crap, they build exactly the quality they're asked to. I do buy a fair number of parts from there, because there really is no supply here for most of them. If there is one remaining supplier the price is SO high only true blue folks can afford to go there. Three grand for a starter, alternator, turbocharger? Seriously? Anyway, when negotiating I always let the sales reps over there know I am willing to pay more for higher quality, usually works in my favor. Some suppliers here do require a certain level of quality. Others only care that it shows up in the box and looks like it might fit.

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
You’ll always get a little bit of “blow by” coming out the oil filler, but compare it to something you know is healthy. If there’s an issue, it often shows in blowby. Not sure what to think about your antifreeze and oil consumption. The antifreeze level dropping hot but returning cold? Wondering if there is air somewhere. I guess I’d be wondering if an injector cup (or sleeve) is leaking. If that’s an EGR motor, the EGR cooler could be leaking. Or head gasket. The head gasket could be creating oil consumption as well. If I was to have the head off that one, I’d be rubbing dye on every surface I could find.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
That's one of those machines that just needs to have a terrible fire one weekend.

Also wouldn't be the first 140M that I've heard of to be a total PITA.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
That's one of those machines that just needs to have a terrible fire one weekend.

Also wouldn't be the first 140M that I've heard of to be a total PITA.

That a solution? Raise your insurance rates and the dealer/manufacture got rid of a lemon and sells another machine. Not sure I agree with that solution unless it the dealer burning it.

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's probably more of a feeling than a solution. I've had a few of those feelings myself over the years.

DB2

The last batch of grader blades I bought from Toromont were labelled made in China. I sent them right back. They weren’t even 5/8 as advertised. Even with all that paint.

Funny part was that I had ordered 3/4. I canceled those as wellD0EA60CC-36BD-4A20-AB74-82520763737D.png

Sad thing is they are still made less than a half hour from here but to someone China is a more viable option.