1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Here we go again 140M DOWN

Discussion in 'Motor Graders' started by 20/80, Aug 31, 2016.

1. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Hi all, Happy New Year!!! to all, I had to work today our 140m is up and running, was ice blading today, this new reman does not seem to have the torque the blown engine had, maybe it needs to break in abit, all and all was a good day other than a gear in the circle gear box broke, hard to believe its only made of aluminum, any way I had a spare gear hid away from another repair afew years ago, about a hour fix. will be chasing ice tomorrow.

2. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    We've got a few digital cameras at our shop for that. I find its more of a PITA to try and track one down than to just whip out my phone and email pictures to my company email.

3. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Well here's a update on our new engine in our 140m, the new engine seems to be going through engine oil, in two 9hrs shifts it has gone through 3 gallons of oil is this normal for break in on a new engine? it seemed good at first only going through a litre and a half in a shift but it is using more now, your thoughts anyone?

4. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

My smartphone also runs my borescope, has my hytorc settings app, has my trade in and prework inspection apps, and also has a VR app that overlays component diagrams over a machine. I’m not giving it up for a point and shoot digital camera and a landline

92U 3406 likes this.
  5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Report it to your Cat dealer. Keep a close track of how much oil is added every time it is topped up and the machine hour meter reading when the oil was added. That will be the first thing they ask for.

6. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Yes we are keeping track of the oil amounts and the amount of hours between adding more oil, I hope we are not having another engine failure, our mobile say's there's oil in the exhaust.

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Another thing to keep accurate track of, fuel added. A lot of the "excessive oil consumption" data out there usually relates how many litres of fuel burned per litre of top-up oil added.

92U 3406 likes this.
  8. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    Maybe I missed it, is this a "new" engine or a shop rebuild?

I'd consider that excessive. I've broke in 8 new machines. Never had one burn anywhere near that much oil.

I changed the break-in oil at 250hrs on our current machine. Burned one gallon.

Have 40 hrs on the current oil. Still on the full mark.

9. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Ok, we have card lock so we can look at the amounts burnt on every shift. thanks

10. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    The motor is a reman from Cat, I was thinking that it may be abit excessive to. thanks

11. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

At that rate I would think you could see oil burning out the exhaust. It’s not leaking oil anywhere?

mikebramel likes this.
  12. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

The rings didn't seat in my rebuilt 3204 and it was using copious amounts of oil but had absolutely no smoke out the exhaust. It was repaired on warranty but the shop foreman even noted there was no smoke when they drove it across the yard.

13. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    That's way too much oil!

BOHICA

If the engine has a DPF that is working correctly, you won't see any smoke. You will see very short intervals between regen cycles.

DB2 likes this.
  14. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    There is no leaks anywhere and no sign or smell of any oil smoke that I or my partner noticed, but I guess if your not looking for it you would not notice right off when operating especially working at night, maybe the rings didn't seat properly, we will take notice now.

15. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Its a non DPF engine, its the early version of the m series C7 2008.

16. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Then the next question is have you checked to see if the oil level is climbing in the transmission?

17. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    No we have not check to see if the oil is climbing in the Tranny, but there is oil signs on the exhaust, I will check the tranny, thanks

18. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Oil signs in the exhaust are not a good omen on a low hour rebuild

Just my take on it

Keep a tally on how much oil/fueled used

They have limits for what is correct/ incorrect

Shi**y deal all around if it is in fact burning that amount

Is there much blowby ?

19. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    Interested to hear the results of this.

20. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Sorry.. what are you referring to in regards of blow by, we have not dug in to deep into the engine as of yet we just have noticed the amount of oil this new engine is using, if the oil consumption continues then the **** will hit the fan I expect, right now we burnt about 118 gals of fuel to 3 gallons of oil, we are keeping watch now and documenting the usage. thanks