• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hendrickson pre-assembled wheel ends

Shimmy1

New hopper trailers came with Hendrickson wheel ends, HXL5 grease filled. T.S., is this going to be a problem? Seems like I hear about Timpte trailers with burned up wheels more than others. What's your opinion on these Hendrickson wheel ends?

Truck Shop

The HXL5 is basically a Fruehauf design wheel end. Inboard and outboard bearings are the same.
Which makes for a pretty tough wheel end. Fruehauf/Propar actually had little trouble. IIRC the
CR wheel seal is a 46243. Can be converted to oil bath. But I never set end play at .001 to .005,
I set them at zero. Especially on three axle trailers because of axle sweep in tight turns. I have way
less leaking wheel seal issues. Hubs don't create anymore heat than factory setting.

https://www.wcoastent.com/assets/Uploads/PDFs/OpManualsPDFs/T72007 - Hendrickson HXL5 wheel end.pdf

Shimmy1

But I never set end play at .001 to .005, I set them at zero. Especially on three axle trailers because of axle sweep in tight turns. I have way less leaking wheel seal issues. Hubs don't create anymore heat than factory setting.

We have had 4 new Timpte 3 axle trailers in the last 10 years, and not one of them made a year without leaking wheels. Every one when pulled apart was loose as hell, put a Stemco in set to zero and never looked at again. I actually said the other day before they went to pick up the trailers that we need to run them right in the shop and tighten the hubs up. Then they get here and they are grease hubs because they ordered them with disc brakes. These are 3 axle. Do we need to do anything? It will not be good if they end up with a problem during harvest and I am busy out in a mud hole somewhere with no time to deal with a new trailer having problems.....

Truck Shop

Correction the CR wheel seal #42623. Standard seal is 46305. If those are used for
hauling out of field watch the brake pads for uneven ware {calipers}. After the trouble
the boss has put me through taking care of disc brake wheel ends that he just had to have
which he now wishes he hadn't bought, I wouldn't have air disc shoved up my worst
enemy's a$$.