• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help

51kw

What would you guys do with a scraper hand that will not listen and doesnt care? I have one that I am pushing that cant get the bowl down before starting a cut. Cant figure out where to cut on his own. ( I asked him if his wife mowed the lawn since he cant figure out to cut the high area). Always cuts to shallow then at the last 10ft plants the bowl to try and get a load. Will not pull in straight, he cant get the bowl level.ALWAYS turns left while loading. I have tried to talk to him. He doesnt care. He is one of those guys that is just there for a check. I have told the boss and he says I have to teach him. After 100+ hours nothing has changed. I took a guy that had never even sat in one before and made him a fairly good scraper hand in 40hrs this week. Its not me.

terexkerry

What would you guys do with a scraper hand that will not listen and doesnt care? I have one that I am pushing that cant get the bowl down before starting a cut. Cant figure out where to cut on his own. ( I asked him if his wife mowed the lawn since he cant figure out to cut the high area). Always cuts to shallow then at the last 10ft plants the bowl to try and get a load. Will not pull in straight, he cant get the bowl level.ALWAYS turns left while loading. I have tried to talk to him. He doesnt care. He is one of those guys that is just there for a check. I have told the boss and he says I have to teach him. After 100+ hours nothing has changed. I took a guy that had never even sat in one before and made him a fairly good scraper hand in 40hrs this week. Its not me.
I have one here a really neat guy with the IQ of a Mars bar,just about on final and after 3 loads in the same place I stopped him as he was going to take no 4 and said move over carnt you see what we are doing next load same,he wont be back Monday,get rid of him they have it or they dont,good luck,Kerry

68M

They sound like dump truck drivers to me, you need to have a brain to operate a scraper.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I believe in giving everyone a chance to learn. 100 hrs is beyond giving him a chance. If he doesn't care about the work, there's a good chance he doesn't care about the machine either. Say your good byes before you wish you had done it earlier. Boss says to teach him? Boss got money to burn or is the non-scraper hand a relative?

Mjrdude1

With some operators, it is cheaper to park the machine than let them do "their own thing" burning fuel, slowing production, costing the company both money and reputation.

51kw

Old iron habit he runs everything like it is stolen. I figure he must have pictures of the boss f*****g a goat since he has quit and been hired back 4x.
Mjrdude1 that is exactly what I keep thinking but the boss says dirt is getting moved from a to b so keep him going. It is very frustrating!

DPete

Push cat operators can usually find a way to get even, use your imagination ;) next time he stuffs the scraper in the ground at the end of the load leave him there etc. The push cat should be in charge of the cut, make him come to you and stay where the cut should begin

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Like DPete says, line him out with the pushcat. He will either listen or be so sore at the end of the day he will quit.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Push cat operators can usually find a way to get even, use your imagination ;) next time he stuffs the scraper in the ground at the end of the load leave him there etc. The push cat should be in charge of the cut, make him come to you and stay where the cut should begin

Sounds like good advice. If he cuts too deep, stop. If he pulls into the wrong part of the cut, don't push him. That will get the point across without sending anyone to the hospital.

51kw

I usually do Leave him in the cut with the bowl stuck in the ground. I have pushed him sideways when he turns left. There have been a few accidental bumps. Thanks for the advise guys.

Shimmy1

If he hasn't given you the "you're number 1" or "what the hell" arms in the air you haven't bumped him hard enough. But, some guys don't have it and NEVER will. Don't matter how many hours or years they get to practice. :Banghead

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I always wondered why there were no back windows in most of the scrapers I've been around. I took a machine out for a test one time after fixing something and had my hard hat on for some reason. Anyway I dropped the bowl in the cut and the cat skinner hit the back of the machine so hard the hard hat cracked the rear window. I took the load and parked the machine on the storage line. From that time on an operator did the testing. I figured I wasn't going to be a pin ball wizard ever again.

Maybe turning your piece of meat into a pin ball wizard will encourage him to make a career change.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
If he hasn't given you the "you're number 1" or "what the hell" arms in the air you haven't bumped him hard enough. :IMO :point laugh unless he is a druggie the he will never get it but look on the bright side have him tested

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I always wondered why there were no back windows in most of the scrapers I've been around. I took a machine out for a test one time after fixing something and had my hard hat on for some reason. Anyway I dropped the bowl in the cut and the cat skinner hit the back of the machine so hard the hard hat cracked the rear window.

That's not right. If he had a problem he should have talked to you about it first. Most of the pushcat operators I worked with were so smooth you hardly felt them make contact. And that's what I was striving for when I was pushing. I mean someone may have gotten a little bump here or there, but it was not intentional and certainly not enough to break windows or injure anyone.

Last edited:

51kw

So today we were stripping clay off sand. Fairly easy right? Not for him with no bowl control. He was either leaving 6 inches of clay or taking a foot of sand. I talked to him, the foreman talked to him. He said this pos scraper wont let the bowl down when I want it down. Foreman told him to go sit on the bank and watch. Foreman got on the scraper and did 6 perfect rounds. Got off and said did you learn anything? Genius said nope, wasnt watching. So back on his machine he goes to keep making a mess.

51kw

He also has no idea where the scraper trails at. He drives it like his car. We were loading out a pile of black dirt and he got to the end and made a hard left. Tractor was off the pile scraper wasnt! It was so close to rolling, it dumped half the load out the side. He didnt learn since he did the same thing the next round!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I hope this guy is not a native webfoot. He's lowering the average IQ in our whole state. When he rolls the scraper and ends up dead or paralyzed then whose fault is it? I can't understand how any boss can still say to teach him, when he has an attitude like that, sitting on the bank and not watching or trying to learn. Boss better make sure he got good insurance?

JDOFMEMI

That would do it for me. If someone don't know, I will go out of my way to teach them to do the job right. If they have no desire to learn, they can find another job, and fast.

If the boss accepts behavior like that, I would seriously consider where I wanted to work, and in what environment. Working with people like that is bad for everyones attitude, and soon enough the whole crew will lower themselves to his level since the boss does not seem to care to change things.

DPete

Agree, the guy has no business there. He's going to hurt someone and or wreck equipment. Audios, get a job at the car wash.