• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help with d6h, not moving at all

Shivan Dookeran

Hey members i am having a problem with a d6h 8e2473 not moving forward or backward. thing is i have never dealt with dozers before and with the current pandemic our island is in a total lockdown so no help from the dealer.
This dozer has been neglected by the owner and only did work when it broke down or was needed . i hope the serial i provided is the correct one as i searched all over and only found those at the back under the deisel tank.
since we are totally locked down for the next month i decided to try my hand at fixing it ,just hoping its simple as the filters or a bad pump
anyone can offer some tips on stuff to check ?

Dave Neubert

pull the magnetic strainer out and see what is in it you need to drop the belly pan and it is on the right side

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
do i need to drain the sump pan ? forgive me for the noob questions but im totally new to dozers
Yes you do. The compartment behind the cover that holds the screen in place is the "oil pan" for the transmission. Expect to get somewhere in the region of 100 litres of oil out of it.

Back to your OP. 8E2473 is not the machine Serial Number. Try taking a look at the engine and see if you can find a S/No plate on it. A machine S/N can usually be tracked by using the engine number.

Shivan Dookeran

Yes you do. The compartment behind the cover that holds the screen in place is the "oil pan" for the transmission. Expect to get somewhere in the region of 100 litres of oil out of it.

Back to your OP. 8E2473 is not the machine Serial Number. Try taking a look at the engine and see if you can find a S/No plate on it. A machine S/N can usually be tracked by using the engine number.
will look for it tomorrow bro as im going to try to get some work done to it .. really appreciate the help

Shivan Dookeran

i found these pics in another thread so im gonna print and walk with it .. hopefully it is exact where it is .. the one labeled 21 is that the tranny at the back with a small plate of 4 bolts?

Attachments

• screen #7.JPG
    screen #7.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
  • screen #21.JPG
    screen #21.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 14
  • screen #27.JPG
    screen #27.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 13

Dave Neubert

21 is at the back at drawbar you have to drain sump to service this one the other one is under your feet as you sit in seat have to drop belly pan to get to it

Shivan Dookeran

21 is at the back at drawbar you have to drain sump to service this one the other one is under your feet as you sit in seat have to drop belly pan to get to it

thanks for the help , i spent some time on the machine today and found both screens , the one at 21 and 7 , did not find 27 tho . pulled the filters and cleaned the screens , found they were not too dirty nor plugged but the oil was really black and there was some plastic debris . i did find 2 plunger type rods with seals that were missing , could that have contributed to it? Right now i have to wait till next week when the country covid restrictions are lifted so i can get cat recommended oil as the dealer is closed.is there any substitute oil i can use to run in the meantime before i do another flush?

I have also attached some pics of what i found .

Attachments

• catd6trans.jpg
    catd6trans.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 34
  • d6trans.jpg
    d6trans.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 34
  • d6transdebris.jpg
    d6transdebris.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 34
  • d6transfilter.jpg
    d6transfilter.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 32

Nige

Did the oil smell burned.?
Black oil plus those particles you found spell trouble in my book.

Suggest you remove the transmission filter and cut it open. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it. You’re looking for particles like grains of sand in the bottom of the pleats of the filter media.

Shivan Dookeran

Did the oil smell burned.?
Black oil plus those particles you found spell trouble in my book.

Suggest you remove the transmission filter and cut it open. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it. You’re looking for particles like grains of sand in the bottom of the pleats of the filter media.
yes i did remove the trans filter,it's the fourth pic i posted , and yes there was a sand like material almost like grease,what does that spell? clutches ?

after changing everything my next step was to add oil and check my pressures and then proceed from there , am i missing a step?

Dave Neubert

Were those rods out they plug into the valve body for pressure testing. you can use 30 wt motor oil like for diesels Rotella or another brand

Nige

yes i did remove the trans filter,it's the fourth pic i posted , and yes there was a sand like material almost like grease,what does that spell?
That sand material sounds like burned up clutches. Cut the filter open an see what it is like inside. Here’s a how to. Depending on what you find removing the transmission is the likely next step.

Dave Neubert

Main pressure is the plug at the top of the filter housing P1 and P2 are checked at the plugs where you took the rods out main around 325 -350 p1 and p2 are 20-30 lbs lower than main pressure