• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hardlyworking

I recently bought a Clark Michigan loader from a guy that bought it with a seized motor and shoe horned a DT466 in its place he claims came from an old Combine... I don't know the year of the motor but I'm guessing 90's? It's the mechanical one, I got it running but none of the wires for the alternator are there that I can find? And the main harness for the motor is just hanging down as buddy cut it off the old machine. I'm looking for any wiring diagrams and as much info on this motor as I can get, especially on how to wire up the alternator, also how can I figure out what year this motor is?

Jonas302

So what you have there if its a dt 466 is an international motor not a Detroit that may help when your looking for things
The alternator a lot of guys would just put a one wire unit on Heck it may have one already then you just run a wire to the battery or the hot post on the starter where all the wires come together at

A pic of the alternator will be the best way to figure out what you have and how to make it work front and back the alternator wiring wont be specific to the engine

Hardlyworking

So what you have there if its a dt 466 is an international motor not a Detroit that may help when your looking for things
The alternator a lot of guys would just put a one wire unit on Heck it may have one already then you just run a wire to the battery or the hot post on the starter where all the wires come together at

A pic of the alternator will be the best way to figure out what you have and how to make it work front and back the alternator wiring wont be specific to the engine
Sorry for not giving that info, yes I know it's a international motor, I do forget that sometimes though haha. From what I have seen on some Google pics, mostly a few Yt vids it looks like an OE alternator. I see one stud that says Grnd, one says nothing guessing that the Pos wire? And then what looks like a plug on the back at the top. Do you know what 1 wire (or even 2 wire like chevs) alternators would fit this beast? Without having to modify the bracket. Although it would be nice to just get this alt wired up instead of buying another lol.20220621_135458.jpg 20220621_135515.jpg

Delmer

Looks like the top left stud is B+, that will be connected to the big wire in the harness that is connected to the battery positive terminal all the time, even when the key is off. The top right stud will be ground because there's no insulator there, the alternator is already grounded so you can leave that alone for now. Get a couple spade terminals, or scrap wires with spade terminals, and hook both of those spade terminals to the B+ threaded stud, if it charges, then figure out the wiring harness and diagram for the alternator. If it doesn't charge, then get a different alternator, or fix that one. Hooking those two spade terminals will drain the battery when it's off, the excite needs to be hooked to the ignition switch.

If you're not going to use a wiring harness (starter and alternator only, no lights, fan etc.), just get a delco one wire alternator, or buy a kit to rebuild that one as a one wire alternator. Maybe easier to get a 12SI one wire, that one might be less common and not have parts as readily available.

Jonas302

Just like demler said Might as well get the hot wire ran going to need it either way probably 10 gauge would be fine shouldn't be much draw little heavier would be good too She looks cruddy but if it works it works otherwise you have a pretty standard delco frame alternator https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...rsal-applications-1-wire-hookup-adr0163y.html Should be able to find one on the shelf of a basic auto parts store also

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This the basis for that alternator if it Should happen to work. Is called a Dummy Light Regulator, Lamp gets power from one side key on, then as alternator fields the light with power both sides goes out

alternator-wiring.jpg

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My buddy put a 466 in an old Michigan loader back in the early 2000s. I'm having trouble remembering dates these days. He ran it in his gravel bank and plowed snow with it and eventually sold it. Do you know if this one was in NY at all?

Hardlyworking

My buddy put a 466 in an old Michigan loader back in the early 2000s. I'm having trouble remembering dates these days. He ran it in his gravel bank and plowed snow with it and eventually sold it. Do you know if this one was in NY at all?
No its not that one, I know the guy who did the swap he did it in the last few years, also I'm in Canada haha. I'm trying to figure what what model loader this is, I can't find any info on it and the plaque inside says 45ag but I can't find a 45ag online anywhere?Screenshot_20220622-022752_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220622-022752_Gallery.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As a Information note, will need a two wire lamp socket, not one that grounds thru the socket for the idiot lamp.