• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help needed to verify trailer GVW

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I've been looking at a trailer for moving my 953 track loader around and I believe I may have found one, just one problem when I went to look at the trailer it had absolutely no plates,or mfg info, or mfg's rating to be found anywhere on it.

Here is what I do know:

from the title copy that I was emailed it is manufactured by JCRF
It is a 1975 model and it is said to be a 35 ton trailer.
It has tripple axles with duals and the tires are 16" 10 ply with load ratings of 14750 each.
the only number that I have to go on for VIN number is 2013
Title Number F2600N521

My problem is I cannot verify the actual ton rating of the trailer and from what I see on the title it has been licensed for 20000 lbs. Does anyone know where I can find info on this trailer? I thought I would ask here before I went to do a vehicle history check through the DMV/experian. (which will cost me)

I haven't bought anything yet, and have told the current owner I wanted to check things out first.

Has JCRF been bought out and manufactured under a new name?

I'm sorry for the questions, it's just better to be safe than sorry I think.

mitch504

Hey Monte, I've seen a bunch of 25 ton capacity trailers set up like that. Some manufacturers name their trailers by the gross weight rating rather than the net load carrying ability. I have an Econoline 12-ton trailer, which has a net load capacity of about 9.75 tons, and a Bame 12-ton trailer, which has a net load carrying capacity of 12.3 tons.

The lightest common dual wheel axle I've seen is 10,000 lbs, which would give you 30,000 lbs, plus the load carried by the truck, minus the weight of the trailer. Was that 14,750 lb figure a typo on the tire capacity, or is that the axle capacity?

What I would do is look at the axle and suspension capacity,(number and size of leaf springs, bearing sizes, etc.), if you can't find numbers on the axles.

I wish we were closer, I'd look at it for you and see what we could find close to it in sopme of my axle and suspension catalogs.

Post some pics if you want andI'll try to help.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Mitch........the number I read on the side of the tires actually said "14750 rated capacity".
I'm gonna have to make a trip back over there again I think tomorrow and get some measurements.

I'll let you know more when I have more accurate measurements.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
My guess only.The serial # is short for a Manufactors #.In Texas that might be a shop built serial #.The axles are probly 10,000 lbs a piece since they have 16"tires.Think if it was me I would check to make certian on all this.Because I could be wrong.At least some people tell me that.

partimer

Just be aware in MN and most other states that you will need to have a correct vin plate on the trailer to avoid a ticket. We have had several tickets in MN and MO both due to missing vin plates. They want vin numbers for ID and GVWR to clearly state ratings for capacity. Some mfg's may issue new plates if they can verify the trailer. Some won't. I wouldn't consider buying anything until you have an ID plate in your hand. Good luck.

Larry

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Just be aware in MN and most other states that you will need to have a correct vin plate on the trailer to avoid a ticket. We have had several tickets in MN and MO both due to missing vin plates. They want vin numbers for ID and GVWR to clearly state ratings for capacity. Some mfg's may issue new plates if they can verify the trailer. Some won't. I wouldn't consider buying anything until you have an ID plate in your hand. Good luck.

Larry

That's kind of what I thought, about being legal that is. I will have to at the very least get some measurements, and try to figure out rated capacity, then try to convince the DOT and DMV that this trailer is of sound condition, and rated capacity to do the job.... I dunno......I may be better off to walk away from this one, wait a little while and put together some more cash to come up with a better one.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
well........I took some time this morning and drove over to look at that trailer again today and get some measurements. I had to crawl under the trailer and look with a flashlight to find the axle rating plate. It turns out the axles are indeed rated at 30,000 lbs each. There are three sets of leaf springs with five in a stack measuring 1/2" thick by 2 1/2" wide.

The tires are all indeed 16.5" rims...........some of the tires say 9.5-16.5LT others say 10.00-16.5LT so I know there isn't a real match there at all. The one tire did in fact read 14750 rated capacity whatever that is supposed to mean. while other tires are displaying a load capacity of 2790 lbs.

All the tires would have to be replaced I am sure to meet DOT standards.

(assuming that the trailer would weigh 8000lbs.)

I used the following info to guesstimate my tire requirements as there is no mfg weight listed.

Cat (known) 34,500 trailer (unknown) 8,000 totaling 42,500lbs. GVW
current rating on tires total approx. 33,480lbs........... but would need tires to take a load of at least 48,000lbs I'm sure. Is there even such thing as a tire in the 16.5" size range that can come up with a 4,000lb rating?
If so, someone please send me a link or post it here......

Thanks in advance

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
This one is prolly not the budget you want to spend Monte, but for reference purposes, the tag says it's a model 20HALX with a GVWR of 47,900 pounds. This model is listed as a 20 ton by Eager Beaver. Would this not do the job as opposed to a 25 to 30 ton tri axle trailer?

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2815311&

As long as the trailer would handle the 17.5 ton yeah it would work. With a Sizable down payment yet anything is possible.......
best I can figure the one I was looking at would be still be 10,000 to get it street legal anyway......... I found a few other used trailers where the seller was asking 16,000 for a 30 ton unit, but on the other Hand Kauffman trailers sells a 30 ton unit for 19,800 new before FET..........options and decisions........options and decisions......... LOL Not going to rush into anything as of yet.......got all winter to consider options.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
No Monte, not saying you should look at this particular unit at that price, there are plenty more "tandem" tag trailers out there for way less. Only asking would a tandem 20 ton like this do the job instead of using a tri-axle? GVWR is 47900.