• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help! need cab for 416b

Jake Hackenburg

in search of full cab for cat 416b 426b or 436b. having no trouble finding open rops but am looking for full cab/doors and fenders. located in ohio closer the better but looking for one anywhere. i have tried AMS construction and just about every dismantling yard on machinery trader any help or lead is appreciated, thank you

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Have you tried looking for a donor machine?

Jake Hackenburg

Have you tried looking for a donor machine?
ya looked around, mine has 5xxx hrs going to replace the swing tower as well, tighten the boom up have a really nice hoe pending the cab. found a high hr machine(11xxx hrs) like mine 4x4 xhoe cab heat no air and they still want 12k for it. not really looking to rob a cab off of it and try to sell off high hour parts and motor. the cabs typically run between 3-5k when you can find them.

AzIron

That's a tough thing to find I have only seen about 4 416bs in the last 3 years most with 15000 plus hours and the cabs were pretty well dismantled

On another note I would consider the other machine you saw 4x4 is really nice and at 12000 hrs that machine still could have a lot of life ahead of it

Jake Hackenburg

ya i have 4x4 and low hours on the machine i have now and really cant justify 2 backhoes for what i do. mine got flopped off a trailer so interior is reusable. ive found open rops and could build it back to a full cab, between parts i can reuse and parts as i came across them but figure that will nickle and dime me to death. thought about doing a rops and plexiglass, and either finding doors (also nxt to impossible) or fabbing some up, im a great fabricator and have access to gooseneck dies to form the sill lip and fab them as close to oem as possible bt dxxx if that wont be alot of work. or running rops all summer and calling around every couple weeks looking for a cab.

AzIron

Around here most of those machines died or went to Mexico that's the problem I see

About 10 years ago I would have had doors for you but we scraped them we had a cab machine we took the doors and windows off cause the ac took a dump and the machine got the windows busted out so we said to hell with it

Jake Hackenburg

Around here most of those machines died or went to Mexico that's the problem I see

About 10 years ago I would have had doors for you but we scraped them we had a cab machine we took the doors and windows off cause the ac took a dump and the machine got the windows busted out so we said to hell with it
ya it seems alot of the b's flew south for the winter and never came back... have another option thats viable tho, came across a 416c cab that needs minor repair (has some glass missing). has anyone seen cab size of a B and C side by side? They are very similar in pics and im sure i could make it work, moving cab mounts or even fabbing different ones are no problem but i dont want to end up with a mixbred basturd that looks like i put a cowboy hat on a pig either. Could be a better starting point than rops and having to fab doors and replace all glass. thoughts?

AzIron

That would be a stretch

Different frames between b and c I think the C is a longer frame to help with balance you would also have to re mount the loader valve and re plumb plus the shuttle's are different and if your donner cab had a power shift you would be another shuttle altogether

If I remember correctly the cab mounts are different I remember the prototype c we ran was eating mounting grommets we went through 5 different formulas or more with the actual test machine before they got it right

Let's not talk about wiring c is all overhead b is in the console that's probably not to hard to change tho

But I do believe the cabs are different length and if they are you might not be able to easily line up the linkage for tour wabble sticks

But it's an ambitious thought and possibly doable with enough time

Jake Hackenburg

That would be a stretch

Different frames between b and c I think the C is a longer frame to help with balance you would also have to re mount the loader valve and re plumb plus the shuttle's are different and if your donner cab had a power shift you would be another shuttle altogether

If I remember correctly the cab mounts are different I remember the prototype c we ran was eating mounting grommets we went through 5 different formulas or more with the actual test machine before they got it right

Let's not talk about wiring c is all overhead b is in the console that's probably not to hard to change tho

But I do believe the cabs are different length and if they are you might not be able to easily line up the linkage for tour wabble sticks

But it's an ambitious thought and possibly doable with enough time
ya all my controls are good, id literally just be using the C cab, keep original steering column i guess you'd call it, original loader lever, original gauges, wobble stick, everything bt the rops and sheetmetal would be original, i'd even cut the floor pan out if necesary to use original, making it work doesnt scare me so much as it looking original, we'll see if the seller is willing to work with me a little since it isnt exactly what im looking for. My fab and repair skills are excellant i just dont want a cat guy seeing us fueling up and "think wth that doesnt look right at all" at the same time tho the holes we dig and the crap we knock down doesnt seem to mind what the old girl looks like lol i just wish i could see the cabs side by side dimension wise bt its down in florida

Jake Hackenburg

ok so heres why i've been thinking it would be so easy to do the cab swap... the pics of the cab the salesman sent me saying its a 416c look almost identical to a 416b cab. So i lookd up pics of 416c's on google. not even similar to a 416b. after looking at some other pics. he has a 416II cab! not a 416c? Idk where he got the 416c idea from. But it looks like everything would bolt up from a II to a B

AzIron

I never had any experience with the cat branded case backhoe but I think a series 2 is the same cab or highly similar to a b so your in a lot better shape there

The c was completely redesigned machine from the ground up a lot of things were similar to bs (not the cab) but not interchangeable between the series change

416 bs were the most solid backhoe cat has ever made the only thing that kills them is stupid people so that machine should last you as long as you can source parts for it

Jake Hackenburg

I never had any experience with the cat branded case backhoe but I think a series 2 is the same cab or highly similar to a b so your in a lot better shape there

The c was completely redesigned machine from the ground up a lot of things were similar to bs (not the cab) but not interchangeable between the series change

416 bs were the most solid backhoe cat has ever made the only thing that kills them is stupid people so that machine should last you as long as you can source parts for it
ya the cabs between a 2 and a b look damn near identicle the only dif i have noticed is the roof has more overhang and a formd drip edge on the b, i can form that piece to match a b cab if it bothers me that much. its been a great machine the 4 yrs ive owned it, never let me down, ive done a waterpump and t stat on it and thats been about it. the whole cab debacle is my fault (long story ie stupid people) lol. ive had no problem sourcing any wearable part, did tie rod ends on it too and have most everything to rebuild the boom except the swing tower which is where all the slop is. but those haue acually came down in price some $1400... she'll be a nice hoe again kind a working resto i guess

Jake Hackenburg

just an update... after about 40/50 phone calls i ended up calling DUKES equipment in washington state (i think for the second time that day accidently). Chris the parts guy said "no i dont have anything tell u what give me the serial # ill see what i can do" he called me back an hour later asking what email he could send pics to because he had found one i southern california, had pics of a rust free complete cab minus glass for 2k 10 mins later! That was $500 less than i had them down to on the 416 II that is rougher than this cab. I asked him to put together a shipping quote he called back within an hour apologizing that it was going to be $800 to ship it to me from so cal. I said "get it coming your guys are $200 less than they wanted to ship an even older cab from utah to me". Idk how much DUKE'S made off of brokering this deal but however much it was im completely fine with it. Chris was extremely helpful and prompt about getting back to me, really got my biscuits out of the frying pan, i dont feel it was a steal but $2800 for a rust free cab shipd to my door i cant complain and DUKES will be my first call for any used equipment parts i ever need again.

Ronboco

Nigel, you must be a weather of knowledge, so I'm gonna try and pick your brain....Ok?
I've got an 86 416 cat hoe 5poc1484.
I got water in my trans,not sure how, drained it, cleaned filter,changed canister filter and the machine will go into gear( shuttle fwd or rev) when it is cold but as soon as it warms up if you happen to go to neutral it's dead in water until it gets cold again,
Any suggestions other than pull granny and have rebuilt? And why or how does it get water in trans.