• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help me figure out this Husco valve

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day JT
To keep you posted the attached is where we are at this time, there are a couple of conflicting aspects 1/- the shock valves having refill function as we cannot be sure unless we get numbers to refer 2/- according to your investigation the pilot lines for the valve terminate at the solenoids this conflicts with the circuit diagram which gives a remote control valve. A solenoid switching your thumb in each direction maybe not so nice to use but let us take one step at a time.
Note the illustrations may not be pricise however the principle is as you will find on your machine.
kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• husco.pdf
    865.6 KB · Views: 7

JMR-TBAY

In response to the first conflict you describe:

The manual describes the main valve line relief valves as having a makeup function. The manual then describes the auxiliary line relief valves as operating the same as the main valve reliefs, although it doesn’t explicitly say the auxiliary reliefs have that same makeup/refill function.

I can’t imagine an line relief valve that would be used in a system where makeup oil wasn’t also provided to the vacuum side. That seems like a necessary function.

Regarding the second conflict:

I would love to have a variable style switch to control the thumb, but this is a budget project and I’m trying to make what I have work (safely). I’m sure with some different techniques, for example using the bucket to make the fine pressure adjustments when picking something up, it can still be very functional.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day JT
Looking ahead, it may be worth considering operating the thumb in combination with the bucket, working the same as a grab.
Kind regards
Uffex

JMR-TBAY

I’ve managed to resolve this issue. For the last year I’ve been operating the thumb with the “Tip” spool on this valve. I had simply capped off the “tilt” ports and hoses to the swing valve. The issue with this is that I lost the ability to swing while tracking. It was annoying at times but mostly manageable.

I recently purchased on old 227 as a parts machine. I salvaged the tip spool from its Husco valve and traded the tilt spool out for it. This led to some minor quirks with the swing and thumb operation. I don’t think the tip spools were meant to be sandwiched together. The solution was to install the old tilt spool between them. It seems to have fixed the issue and everything seems to work properly.

IMG_9257.jpeg

IMG_9288.jpeg
The only minor issue I noticed is the lower valve seems to be receiving less flow. I originally had the thumb function plumbed to the lower spool but it resulted in very slow operation. I switched the lines with the swing and everything works great.

IMG_9299.jpeg

Needed a few pieces of threaded rod to sandwich the now thicker valve stack.

IMG_9297.jpeg

JMR-TBAY

To clarify, I tried sandwiching both tip spool directly together which led to some quirks. This would have been the ideal configuration as the valve stack would have remained the same height.

IMG_9291.jpeg

With the valves in this configuration the thumb and swing functions were cross controlling each other. The house would swing to the right properly while tracking but would only swing left and continue to swing left almost uncontrollably when the thumb was operated.

I’m happy to have fingered this out. I’ll be re selling this unit in a couple years once my basement is dug and other major landscaping projects are completed.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
If you need more help a hydraulic schematic of your machine is a necessity.
kind regards
Uffex

JMR-TBAY

Put the machine through some good work over the past few days taking advantage of the unseasonably mild weather.

I’m so happy the hydraulics are working as they should.

Just getting some cleared areas cleaned up. I’d made a mess in these area running my underground hydro and harvesting sand for the septic field.

So “before” pics
IMG_9349.jpeg
IMG_8230.jpegIMG_9350.jpg

I had lots of downed trees and mounds to clean up.

IMG_9348.jpeg

JMR-TBAY

IMG_9345.jpeg
IMG_9346.jpegIMG_9347.jpeg

Will continue to spread out the sand across the boggy low area and will get some ground cover planted next spring.

I’m sure wishing I had a D3 or D4 dozer!

My brush piles are swelling. Need to burn them soon!