• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help me decide

tdrainage

looking at getting our first ctl. Will be used at around the 2,000hr mark for our budget. Have it narrowed down to either a Cat 289D or a JD 333. Hrs are comparable as is price. Dealers are both withing 40miles and both have very good support. What are pros and cons from those of you who have been around them? btw- both are 2016 yr models. Thank you

Mike_IUOE

Occupation
Operating Engineer
I prefer that Cat over john deere. I've had limited time in a John Deere, but for me, you sit too far back and its not comfortable to run. The visibility isnt the greatest in them either. I would recommend looking for something with lower hours though. I've had higher hour machines and they really start to nickel and dime you when you get over 2k hrs. I had a Bobcat T300 I got a deal on with higher hours, but what I spent on repairs, I would have been better off getting lower hour machine. I got rid of it and recently bought a '17 Case TR310 with 750 hours and have been really pleased with it.

tdrainage

How do you check the torsion suspension on the cat? How many hrs until needs replacement realizing that is a loaded question as operating style and environment play in. We will be using it 90% in dirt and spreading rock. Some forklift duty and a grapple down the road

Vetech63

I would base it on who gives you the best deal. I have customers with both of those machines and they have been pretty trouble free so far.

Joe Fick

What is the letter after the 333? I had owned a 333En now own a 333G. I have spent alot of time in cat 289 and deere 333E and G. I'm 6ft 6" tall the deere cab is way more roomier and comfortable for me in the deere.

If you have a door. Cat loader has to be all the way down in order to open, deere loader can be up to about 8 inches in order to open door.

Both has the same sensitivity and response to controls.

In my opinion I can see better out of the deere all around visblity and looking straight back not using camera on the deere its about 15 feet before I can see the ground and cat is 25 feet. Cat has a bigger ass machine.

If you look at the closely of these two machines, deere has bigger hyd. Cylinders, bigger loader frame n boom heavier frame and more easily get into repairs and better cooling system in my opinion any questions Holler