1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Help inform a study

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Awkward Potato, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Awkward Potato

Awkward Potato Member

My hope is that by getting feedback from real users, the report will reflect reality.

2. Awkward Potato

Awkward Potato Member

That's helpful, thank you.

3. Awkward Potato

Awkward Potato Member

That's really helpful, thank you.

63 caveman likes this.
  4. Awkward Potato

Awkward Potato Member

Thank you, I didn't know about the Case and Komatsu trials. The Case website is very helpful. Thanks for your feedback.

DMiller likes this.
  5. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

You need a machine that can run at 85 percent of capacity for 10hours aday to be able to market it anything less and it will fall short of demands and a few bad experiences will taint the program for years

I myself wouldn't even look at a machine for battery unless it came to that criteria

Awkward Potato, DMiller and 59 North like this.
  6. 63 caveman

63 caveman Well-Known Member

Awkward Potato,
    Not looking to offend you but.... You seem to want input from folk that are in the trenches that will prove your point. No one wants to disprove your attempt to come up with a better source of power; Most of us guys in the trenches HATE to see waste. Most of us are thankful for the natural beauty and resources we have enjoyed and want them to be managed so future generations can share that same experience and support anybody that can come up with REAL solutions for other more sustainable energy sources. But we have also seen crap like ethanol jammed up our hind parts (engines designed to run on 10% do ok, engines not designed for it just pass it though, and "flex fuel" engines that are required in many states are not able to run efficiently on ether gas, 10%, or 85%) and diesel "after treatment" systems that have been a enormous increase in operation cost (including additional fuel) with very questionable positive results. So please don't be personally be offended if some of us are not wanting to get battery powered HEAVY EQUIPTMENT.
    On the bright side I no longer fire up the big compressor to knock of a few bolts, instead I grab my battery powered inpact!
    Keep the faith brother, I hope you come up with something REAL for all of our sakes.

7. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Thanks Potato for trying to get some input from real users like you suspected %50 usage is low and can vary so much from day to day
    All equipment built in say the last 20 years have computers that track idle time ect and with all the telemetrics all the manufactures know what the real world usage is

Awkward Potato and DMiller like this.
  8. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

@crane operator that hybrid does look good for most crane work. that's a case where the idles does amount to a significant portion of fuel.

Awkward Potato and DMiller like this.
  9. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    63 Caveman brought up some good points. This subject of battery operated equipment has been studied to death. I remember being a struggling University undergrad in 1990 addressing the same questions Awkward Potato is asking 30 years later. The market did what markets do.

The market provided us wonderful battery operated aerial lifts, lift trucks, underground mining equipment, and whatever else that makes economic sense

Admittedly, I’ve never done original research. When I finished my graduate work, I opted for a M.Ed. I took an 8 hour comprehensive exam instead of doing a research paper. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand the process of original research.

awkward hasn’t demonstrated any sort of research Protocol. The OP hasn’t introduced themselves or their pronouns, the institution, the study, and all the other disclosures and permissions required to gather research data. I don’t understand what the angle is.

Flame me if you want, I spent half my career in Higher Ed. I understand how the academic research biz works.

10. Awkward Potato

Awkward Potato Member

Hi Caveman,
    No offense taken. I don't have a dog in the fight (not being paid to work on the project), I'm just trying to make the project better by getting input from real users. Electric equipment has some great advantages, but a lightweight and long-lasting fuel source is not one of them. My goal here is to make sure the results of the study reflect reality, so that the readers/decision makers are informed and recognize where batteries are viable and where they are not. If the reality is that battery can only replace diesel in a few special situations, the report should say that rather than claim most equipment can be converted to battery.

Jonas302, 63 caveman and DMiller like this.
  11. Awkward Potato

Awkward Potato Member

Thanks Coaldust,
    To clarify, I am not part of the research team, am not representing an institution, and am not gathering data for research purposes. I was asked to provide feedback on a study, and it seemed important to run assumptions by real-world users to help make sure the research reflects reality. You are correct that if I were part of the research team I would go through official routes and pay folks for their feedback. I am grateful to everyone here who has contributed.

DMiller likes this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    When speaking of HE while looking at say a D8 high track
    Weight in excess of 35 ton
    Need to be able to move the base mass then the product being cut away

HP is HIGH to move all that need be moved so energy use as in hp vs work performed will also have to be High requires a load of battery energy regardless gear reduction.

Awkward Potato likes this.