• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help, how to remove sprocket?

Welder Dave

It was a totally different experience than when I dealt with the old foreman who worked there over 30 years. He was forced out along with several other long term foremen and senior employee's. 1 hour minimum, OK. Deposit up front? You think I'm not going to pay when you have my parts? It was a combination of things that turned me off. I think the new management is part of it but there are other shops I can take my business to.

When I had some work done in the past the foreman would ask me to come in to see what the problem was and show me what had to be done. Then there were no surprises when the bill came. When the bolt hole stripped on my stick cylinder, they were going to make a new rod and weld the old eye on. I suggested maybe they could drill and tap the rod for a larger bolt and drill the piston bigger. He said that would work and would save me a couple hundred bucks. When I took my leaking rotary swing cylinder in to be repaired he called me once it was apart to show me the problem. The shaft had worn. I was thinking a new shaft was going to be ridiculously expensive if it was even available but he said it can repaired by metalizing which would be about $300. I was relieved but that's what I call good customer service. Not being upfront about a 1 hour minimum and wanting a deposit on top of it is not usual and I don't consider very good customer service.

NeversweatConst

If you had a customer that spent over $17,000 on your services and needed a 15/20 minute repair you would charge them a full hour? I went to pick it up and it wasn't ready. The guy said he's just freeing someone up to do it and give him 20 minutes. I went to the parts counter and got some new filters while I waited. Went back to check and they were just waiting for it to cool off enough to handle it. They heated it up and it popped right off. Cooling off took longer than removing the sprocket. So yeah I think $168.00 was a little excessive. I was only there for about 45 minutes and half of that was waiting for it to cool off.

I hear ya, but when I worked in a shop, we charged a one hour minimum. At the end of the month, you have to make a profit.

Welder Dave

Like I said, I have no problem with a 1 hour minimum. Just don't beat around the bush about it. The deposit when they have my parts in hand is like being accused of stealing. I could see a deposit on a large field repair where you still have access to your machine but not when it's sitting in their shop unless you have a history of not paying.

580bob

in the beginning I had guys bring in small jobs like yours I did the work then they wouldn't pay so I was stuck with it that's why they want the money up front probably burnt a few times that's the new reality dave welcome to 2019 and owing a real business everything costs in your mind you are a great guy but business owners have to watch out for themselves just to stay in business its sad but that's the way it is

Welder Dave

I was never treated like this in the past and I've never stiffed them. I've never been asked for a deposit anywhere expect when special ordering parts. My machine is dead without the drive sprocket for the motor. I realize a business needs to make money but sometimes they can do things to turn customers away too. I remember going to muffler shop to get some work done that also did light vehicle repairs and maintainence. A customer had BOOKED an appointment to get the oil changed on his Dodge Cummins diesel. He got there and they didn't have any diesel oil in stock so sent a guy out to get some. He didn't go up the road to the closest place but had to go to their supplier. It was the longest oil change in history. The guy was there for 5 hours! They charged him full pop with not so much as an apology. I doubt he'll over go back and I certainly never will after witnessing that. Poor customer service doesn't help a business.

muzy

Hey Dave, first thing that came to mind was " do you have a charge account with them?
In today's changing society, often we find new management set out new rules for old staff to follow...... or get fired .
Thought I read it all did not see if charge account was covered.
muzy

Welder Dave

No charge account. In the past they always had their shop rate listed and charged an extra 3% or something if you used a credit card for payment. A lot of shops don't like the charges on credit cards so pass it on to the customer. He said it would take about an hour but couldn't do it right away. I had no problem at all leaving it with them. I mentioned I didn't realize it would take that long (an hour, not that I needed it right away). That's when he should have said they charge an hour minimum instead of his spiel about by the time we take in the back, etc., etc. I said OK I need it off and signed a work order. Then as I turned to go to the parts counter he said he needs to get a deposit. This was a first as I've never had to give them a deposit before. I dropped it off at 10am and went back about the noon the next day and it hadn't moved. He seemed a little nicer this day without the attitude and that's when he said to give him 20 minutes. They had my parts, I signed a work order, wasn't in a big hurry and he also wanted a deposit. When I picked it up he thanked me for the business. Maybe he realized he could have handled it a little better. It was enough I won't be going back to them for any service work.

muzy

Yea Id be turned off to, same day service-pay when work is complete?
Cheers

Batkom

The deposit for an hourly rate before working on it is weird.
But, as an owner of a machine shop with over 5 million invested equipment 9 employees and operation expenses of over $100,000.00 a month, there is no way we work on anything that is less than 1 hour shop rate. And to be honest- there is no way we would have even bothered with a project like yours- we can’t afford to take guys away from the jobs that are actually making a profit and paying the bills.
Anyone who is not in business with a few employees, and all the overhead that follows, can truly comprehend the cost burden to keep the doors open.
In the world of Amazon, China, and Walmart, we have a skewed sense of the cost of manufactured products.
Ok done with my 2cents LOL!

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
My hero, thepumpguysc wrote, "That is weird.. why would he want a "deposit" if he had your part.??"

A response -- Maybe because the part-to-be-fixed had no value when not functioning as it was designed? Just wondering in South GA.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Some advice I was given in 1979 when opening a forklift repair shop.....
Your enemies won't trade with you...
Your friends will want you to do it for nothing...
You have to find you some customers...
Do one thing...
Do it well...
Get you price for what you do...
Collect your money instead of doing more work...

Worked beautifully for 2 guys and myself tlll 1992 when sold.