• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help!!!!!!! Detroit 12v71 oil pressure problems

td25c

Here is the V -71 series low oil pressure troubleshooting chart .

Attachments

• 12 v 71 01 001.jpg
    12 v 71 01 001.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 12 v 71 2 001.jpg
    12 v 71 2 001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 12 v 71 3 001.jpg
    12 v 71 3 001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 178

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yep, these are the pages burned into my brain. Plugged oil cooler would open the cooler bypass valve and still allow full oil pressure to the engine. Still quite the mystery. But that was why I asked about remote full flow filters, if the hoses were connected backwards... Or if somebody missed a caplug? Twice I have run into the missed plug issue. First time was a mixer truck with a freshly rebuilt Sundstrand pump, sucked the plug all the way into the charge pump inlet. the second was an Allison 643 that had a plug in the cooler return/lube line. Neither were my oops, but I had to diagnose and fix them.

mitch504

I am very familiar with what those sock filters looked like, but what I really want to know is, how does lanway know what an elephant tampon looks like??!!

Or, maybe I don't want to know....

lantraxco

Ran away and joined the circus as a lad, because my parents were so dumb... after a short stint with the circus I decided to go back home, not sure what happened but the folks sure seemed a lot smarter when I got back. :rolleyes:

dimitri69

Hi everyone: we have 2 Detroit 12V71TE in our boat. We wanted to be nice and replace the oil filter and now we are not getting oil pressure on one engine. (We only replaced it on one engine) we have no way to go under the engine to open the oil pan. We filled the oil filter full with oil but to no avail. So, replacing the oil filter caused this and don’t know where to start. Would appreciate any help, thank you.

dimitri69

Thanks for answering and funny that you asked about the plastic wrapper , there’s definitely no plastic wrapper on the filter.

dimitri69

After starting, it would idle for 2 minutes and then the buzzer would go on and read very low pressure on the gauge

BillG

The best place to start of course is to verify the engine oil level (I know but it happens). Then plumb in a mechanical gauge so you are absolutely sure there is a problem. Those electro mechanical devices can fail like everything else.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Did the oiler or head wiper forget to fill the crankcase? What was the thought process or reason to randomly change a filter? Without performing an oil change? There has to be more to this story. We need all the drama to accurately answer your question. How much crankcase oil is in the bilge? What’s the name of your boat? Does it have a pirate flag?

I don’t have any work lined up this weekend. Give me your credit card number and what pier and I’ll pack up my game and fix it for you.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Bump the RPM up a couple hundred and see what your oil pressure is.
minimum Idle pressure is 5 PSI on this engine.
Bob
Yes people who are used to "other engines" can get scared with the readings on a Detroit at idle. Seem to recall having some problems with off0highway Mack's with 16V-71's setting off low pressure warning systems at idle. Think the Mack engineers were thinking they should have the pressure of a Mack 6 cylinder at idle and put in the wrong pressure sensors!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Good point, kshansen. It’s not unusual to have oil pressure alarms buzzing occasionally on a hot idling Detroit. Especially with the reduction gear engaged.

terex herder

If replacing the oil filter caused the problem, look into the oil filter. Is it the right filter, was it installed correctly, was trash introduced into the system, are gaskets in place? DON'T start changing other things until every possibility with the oil filter has been carefully examined.

Yes, it is possible something totally unrelated to the oil filter broke at the same time as the filter was unchanged. But that is very highly unlikely. Unless you were the one who changed the filter, there is a high likelihood you are not getting the whole story.

nicky 68a

I know nothing about Detroit’s,but during the 90’s I bought some scrapers for a quick job,then sold them.I recall an important thing or 2 about them……they ran on straight 40w oil and would all work fine until they needed servicing.They would run about 40 bar then after a month would suddenly drop to 10 bar.They would immediately get oil filters and new oil and work another 200 hours or so before doing it again.This was the case with all the scrapers.My fitter was never concerned.
The correct oil,oil filters and frequent changes was vital to these engines.Air filters were also important to keep clean.
They were good engines,but took no abuse unlike the Cat engines