• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help - CAT 508 cable skidder

DigDug

I have my fathers 1988 CAT 508 skidder in the shop. Its having some fuel starvation problems when its parked on a steep hill. I just started looking it over and have the fuel pump apart for starters.
Does anyone know where I can buy or download a manual for a CAT 3204 motor? Thank you , doug

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
It is not uncommon for the fuel pickup tube in the tank to rust through on the Cat machines.If it is starving on a hill that would be worthy of a looksee in my book.I personally ran a 988 that would only run if the fuel tank was half full or more but have heard of it on other Cat machines.Ron G

Cmark

When you say you have the fuel pump apart, do you mean the transfer pump? If so, you may be on the right track.

Even if the transfer pump is not working, these engines will still run if the fuel supply is above the FIP, which is great until you find a hill......

DigDug

THanks Ron, that is something that I am going to check.
Cmark, I dont know the name of it fuel pump or transfer pump. It is a little mechanical pump between the hand pump and FIP. The fuel tank is lower than the FIP when its on level ground and it runs.
I am thinking its this pump thingy becuase the little round dime sized diaphram things seem to be cracked. I am thinking its not pulling fuel on steep hills because of this.
Thank you very much guys!! I appreciate it. I am still looking for a 3204 manual.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Help - CAT 508 cable skidder:

I am thinking its this pump thingy becuase the little round dime sized diaphram things seem to be cracked. I am thinking its not pulling fuel on steep hills because of this.

You got it!... :thumbsup

OCR... :)

Iron Horse

If the two Nylon check valves are cracked , this will be your problem . You will also notice that it wont build pressure when the prime pump is pumped . You will also find a screen on the Banjo bolt on the inlet , give this a clean while your at it .

DigDug

Thank you! The nylon diaphram thingys are definetly cracked . I will head to the cat dealer to order these and a couple of gaskets. Thanks doug

DigDug

Thanks guys! It was the dime sized diaphram valves in the transfer pump. I picked up new ones today at the cat dealer. I put them in with new o-rings, gaskets, & filters. She's running like a top! :drinkup

DigDug

OK so the skidder is running great. Now the transmission is leaking oil enough that my father wants to fix it. I see the output shaft to the front axle but I dont see where the seal is.
I need to find a service manual for this rig. "CAT 508 cable skidder"
DOes anyone know what this tranny fits. It looks like it could be a loader transmission from a 950???? or something. It has forward , reverse, & 3 speeds like a Cat loader.
I will take some pics and put them on here tomorrow. Thanks doug