• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help a new guy buy a used dozer

schmiddr2

Next up I'll be renting a trackhoe/excavator. Need to dig footers in this dirt and dig a basement on a hill (probably be 10ft in the earth. What size should I get? The hill is under 15 deg slope. I don't know if they will come with single gousers or not...will that matter on the hill?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Excavator will come three bar steel or if smaller rubber flat foot tracks. Have only seen one slip in mud or on greater than a 4/1 slope.

If it were myself, I would rent a loader to dig the foundation not a excavator although I have seen it done with both. If you dig from center out with a hoe and you need to drop the bottom more is a bit tougher than driving the loader in then scratch a little more out while removing spoil to stockpile is easier on a excavator.

Last edited:

Metalman 55

Nice looking job you did with the rented machine thee schmiddr2. Now you have some dozer experience under your belt!