1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello from central Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gdoc7112, Jan 11, 2020.

1. gdoc7112

gdoc7112 Member

Hello all,
    I'm Jerry Dougherty a newly retired automotive fleet manager (35 years) and long time president of large sportsman's club with 150 acres and ranges to shoot just about anything. We have an early 1990's John Deere 690D rubber tire excavator with only 600 hours on it. All functions work as they should except right side drive wheels. I was digging for about 4 days in the same spot with out moving. Then when I went to move the right side tires will not roll. When you step on the petal it sounds like it should be moving and the tires look like they try for a split second but no movement. Can't even roll the wheels pushing the unit with the stick, as the tires just skid. The main hoses out of the valve body that go to the right drive motor tense up like they are getting pressure and rpm drops about 100 rpm. It acts like the brake is on that side. Have manual and there is a solenoid that is plumbed to the the brake and manual says it is powered thru a brake timer module but I can not find where that timer is as manual only shows it in a wiring diagram. I've put a volt meter to that solenoid and I'm not getting voltage but not sure what/when it should be activated. I'm currently tring to obtain the fitting so I can put a porta power to the right side brake unit and see if it moves but did not get there yet.
    Looking for a John Deere technician who has experience with these units to maybe give me some pointers as I try to get this machine to move again.
    Thanks for reading this and I'll try not to be a PIA!!!

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Welcome gdoc7112!

One suggestion that might help get more or better response would be to find the section in the forum main page that has "Excavator" as the subject and post your question there. And in the subject line like where you put "Hello from Central Penn" instead put the make and model of your machine and maybe "Won't Move"

Then in the body maybe include Model and serial numbers right at the top.

Wish I knew something about JD Excavators but I have a feeling someone here will.

Not also after you do post you might not see your post again till someone replies to it. Up at the top of the home page there should be "new posts" if you click on that you should be able to find yours to be sure it made it!

Good luck from Central NY

3. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I don't believe your own post will show to the poster until a reply is made unless you go to that forum. Kind of strange how that works. And last but not least, gdoc, welcome.

4. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    Welcome to HEF gdoc;)! Post serial number please. Deere does not use model years for information. Correct information is always by serial number. What you have is a 690DR? How about swapping the propel brake pressure switches first to see if the problem follows the switch. For the Propel Brake timer maybe check in the right console near the fuse box. You will have to compare wire colors with the lame schematic in the service manual.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Welcome. You've come to the right place.

6. gdoc7112

gdoc7112 Member

Thank you all for the advice!! I do not have a serial number as the military removed the plates. Unless there is a hidden number like on car. I will move back to my original post on this. I will try swapping the hoses from the solenoids to the brake units Great idea!!! I will post results later next week!!
    Thanks again!!

7. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Maybe check the oil in that hub. Could be maybe the reduction has a broken planet.

mg2361 likes this.
  8. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    How about an engine serial number? I might be able to get machine serial number from that.

9. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

Welcome to HEF gdoc7112!!

The guys gave you good advice on starting a thread about your excavator in the Excavator forum. You'll get a much better response to your problem there with the thread title they suggested. To the rest of the membership, let's keep this thread focused on the welcome and look for his new thread in Excavators. It will yield better results and keep the forums organized for future readers. On finding a thread you just posted: No, it won't show if you click "New Posts" but it doesn't disappear. If you go directly to the forum you've posted in it should be right at the top of the list.

gdoc7112 your location caught my attention, both my parents were from central PA, Mom from Avis and Dad from Lockhaven. My Grandpa, Leonard Heller from Avis was VERY active in the bench shooting circuit of that area and won many tournaments. He appeared on the cover of the NRA Rifleman magazine one issue. I believe he passed in 1979, it would be interesting to hear if any of your older contacts might remember him! He left his prized rifle to me, a National D'Fabrique 6.5mm Remington Mag. The thing is a tack driver!!

mg2361 likes this.