• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello All

Totally Noob here..

Howdee All

From what I've read so far you guys are gonna be a big help to a Noob.

I wanted to take a Heavy Equipment course years ago and didn't..

So now I'm having a mid life crisis and fulfilling my dreams..LOL

Start on Mon. at out local Tech school and will learn Rubbered Tired BackHoe,
TracHoe and skid steer..

My research says this is pointed towards county work, which is good for me..
It'll offer Steady work, Insurance, Holidays and so on..
In July will start CDL class, this should bring up my hourly rate a few dollars..

Once I complete this course a friend has 30 acres and he wants cleared, for his new home. This will also include roads in and ditches to be dug.
He has agreed to furnish fuel and I get the experience on a large dozer.. YeeHaw!!

Needless to say I'm stoked and ready for this change, as I've spent 20 years in a office. Now I can spend next 20+ outside and very happy fella..

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Totally Noob here..

Howdee All

From what I've read so far you guys are gonna be a big help to a Noob.

I wanted to take a Heavy Equipment course years ago and didn't..

So now I'm having a mid life crisis and fulfilling my dreams..LOL

Start on Mon. at out local Tech school and will learn Rubbered Tired BackHoe,
TracHoe and skid steer..

My research says this is pointed towards county work, which is good for me..
It'll offer Steady work, Insurance, Holidays and so on..
In July will start CDL class, this should bring up my hourly rate a few dollars..

Once I complete this course a friend has 30 acres and he wants cleared, for his new home. This will also include roads in and ditches to be dug.
He has agreed to furnish fuel and I get the experience on a large dozer.. YeeHaw!!

Needless to say I'm stoked and ready for this change, as I've spent 20 years in a office. Now I can spend next 20+ outside and very happy fella..

Welcome aboard Souther Digger. I'll do the honours as our normal meeter and greeter is a bit tied :) up at the moment.
20yrs inside,:p you really need the outdoors good luck and welcome aboard as I said.

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
Welcome Southern Digger, Congrats on your new career-you've come to the right place with any questions/advice you might encounter along your new career path. ZAXIS

ty all for the Welcome,

I've seen how much help you guys have been to others.

First day in classroom videos and discussing Safety and pre op inspections.

Second day I got to spend 6 hours on the cat 4160 and loved every minute of it.. :cool2

Today is the TracHoe for me, we're doing basic operation and some digging..

Attachments

• IMG00006.jpg
    IMG00006.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 142

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
question Southern Digger: I've been out of the seat of a JD310 for twenty odd years but what are they teaching about points of reference when trenching? I used a trench for a guy off and on but was never the greatest but had fun. Are they using lazer pointer to keep you on track? Good luck, reckon being older you'll be smoother and more focused operator.

Hello euclid,

they haven't started with that section as of yet.. I can ask tomorrow to see what they have planned and lyk..

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Good luck, reckon being older you'll be smoother and more focused operator.

:eek:Hold up! So what are ya saying here? Ive seen some youg guys that could operate ten times better then an old operater! Im not picking on the old guys, but just because someone is youg doesent mean that they are more likely to be jerky and un-focused

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
:eek:Hold up! So what are ya saying here? Ive seen some youg guys that could operate ten times better then an old operater! Im not picking on the old guys, but just because someone is youg doesent mean that they are more likely to be jerky and un-focused

Well I was refering to me when I was running equipment. I was just digging never knew of any points of thinking of how to do good work I was 15 years old making 50 bucks a month. As I've gotten older and had a few opportunities to run equipment I see how I can improve myself though marks, or points of reference. I'm still pretty wired out and I'm in my 40's so it is here to stay but time has changed a bit.
That is me and my best childhood friend back in 1985 I was loading. I was making 75 bucks a month doing what grown-up were doing for like 12~15 bucks a hour. Long story but I was learning the hard way.

Attachments

• Uke-2.jpg
    Uke-2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited: