• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello all

kyoshidog

Occupation
I am a career fire fighter in the Portland area (s
I would like to introduce myself as a new member to this forum. I live in the Portland Oregon area, am a career fire fighter, and have worked in the construction filed since my early 20's. I am a general contractor and have been thinking about buying a small excavator for the last couple of years for both convenience and profit and am hoping to get some insight from the pro's on this forum. I am looking at both new and used equipment, used all seems to be used as well as abused, but is much cheaper. I am hoping to get some help with my decision. Anyhow, thanks for letting me post here, this looks like a great site!

Thank you
Karl

atgreene

Welcome to HEF. I started out in the same spot you are in now. Ask away, use the search icon alot and feel free to chime-in.

Stay safe.

kyoshidog

Occupation
Thanks!

Hey thnaks for the welcome! I am pretty excited about getting a machine, even though it will be a small one. I only have two employees and don't do any commercial work to speak of, we mostly do smaller residential, remodels, etc. I am looking at a used CAT 303.5 with about 3,000 hours on it for about $22,000 (with a new trailer), or, a new Kubota 121 for about $48,000 which would leave me with having to get a trailer also. I am really nervous about getting aused machine. What would you suggest?

Thanks
Karl
C shift
St.5
Local 1159

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF kyoshidog! :drinkup

atgreene

I tried the cats,just wasn't impressed with the break-out force. I rented a Kubota 91 and 121 for a couple hundred hours, nice machine, thought the track power was lacking, though. Ran a Bobcat 325 several hundred hours, no issues, then I tried a Takeuchi and was even more impressed, so that's what I bought.

To each his own, service is a big key to this game. If Cat or Kubota is there for you, great! I rented for 3 years then when I bought it was a used Takeuchi, within 2 years I sold it and bought new. Worked good for me to start out that way.

Good luck.

Lt. Greene
Platoon 1, Engine 11, Ocean Ave. Firehouse
http://portlandfirefighters.com/Station Photo Pages/Ocean Avenue/ocean_avenue.htm

kyoshidog

Occupation
Hello L.T.

Thanks for the input, I am going to run the CAT machine today, we'll see how it goes. I know what you mean about service, I think that is the #1 complaint about contractors in general and I really try to follow through to the letter when I make a committment for a job. I'll post again when I buy a machine and let you know what I get.

How long have you been with the FD? I have about 20 years of service in, I'm an Lt. also, work on an engine co, C platoon, have a great crew, work in a busy house and still love it!

Thanks
Karl

atgreene

14 years with the PFD, 5 as a Lt. We run about 1500 runs per year from engine 11, the busiest engine in the city does 2800, the busiest ambulance does 5000. E-11 is considered the second alarm engine, responds to vertiually every 2nd. alarm in the city, so if there's a fire of any size, we're usually there.

Good luck with the Cat.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
If your going used try to find a zero turn machine like the 303cr for getting into tighter spots like drain tile for example.And look for a cab the more comfortable you are the better you work.

Good luck on your search.

kyoshidog

Occupation
So Many Choices!

Thanks for the info, I am still undecided about whether to buy new or used, if I go new I will be going with the Kubota KX 121 with a cab. This is not the 0 clearance machine as they are quite a bit more money. If I go used I think that would be a great assest since I am planning on continuing to do residential work only. I am going to go with a cab either way because it is wet and rainy here for a good part of the year. What would you do Murray, new or used?

Thanks
Karl

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
I like used equipment myself.I can buy a backhoe for $15,000 and charge the same as another contractor who's machine is $75,000 which is still under payments to the dealer/bank and pay for my machine over and over putting money in my pockets not the banks.

With a good maintenance schedule you can keep a used machine running problem free for years to come.

Possibly someone else can better explain prorating equipment.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I see you're from Sandy, OR, I know a few folks from Sandy. Chances are, you probably know them, I hear it's a pretty small town. Welcome to the forums! :drinkup