• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy haul truck specs for pulling 55ton RGB trailer

JBlackwell

Well this can be a long thread. Seeing you are wanting to scale 100,000# payload it takes 8 axles to do it...I call it a "spread 8" which is a 3+1 trailer with a 4 axle truck. With you showing you area in LA, you need a west coast. I honestly have never seen a west coast 3+1 trailer and I have seen a lot of trailers in my time.

First things first, where are you going to haul...only CA or all over the lower 48, or what?

If you are going 4 axle tractor you may can get by without a heavy steer axle. Since you are in CA you need an '08 or newer truck to meet CA certification next year. Cummins is only engine to go with. Being 150K gross I'd say 40K rear would do unless you area in the mountains a lot which then 46K rears would be better. 52K rears are no necessary but they do have bigger bearings and axles I believe. I heard ring & pinion gear is same size. Gear size depends on tire size.

Honestly I'd like for you to go back to the trailer and give me detail what you area thinking will work to scale 100K payload. You have me curious there. Figuring out the truck is the easy part, its the trailer that is to be worried about.

Justin

JBlackwell

I just saw in another thread you plan on hauling in lower 48. With that said if you want to be able to scale 100,000# payload in ALL states you really need to have a 2+2+2 (9 axle) trailer with a tandem rear axle (3 axle total) tractor. Why you ask? Its because of CA. mainly, but AZ will screw you over a tridem group. CA law require the rear stinger to "mechanically" equalize. It is really a long long story. You might can get by with a west coast 2+2 trailer and a 4 axle tractor, but the center of gravity with that combination will not be perfect, but again tridem groups will kill ya in AZ. My question to you, do you really have to scale 100,000#?