• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy Equipment Having a Rough Life

nedly05

Nice? What about it is nice? Hopefully none of the operators of those machines was injured fataly. Interesting pictures none-the-less.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I can't see it the puter tells me the file type is a PPS not a PPT anyone know how I can view it?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Here is a power point file with some pictures of heavy equipment living a very hard life. I was e-mailed the slideshow at work so have no history behind any of the mishaps.

Notice the coal mine pictures, could have seen that comming.

http://www.86bucs.com/misc/EquipmentMishaps.pps

Funny, I got that same email just a few minutes ago. :cool:

It appears alan627b has been made famous. :D

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Man, those pics of the dirt avalanche looks rough. I'm glad that I don't do quarry work, would make me nervous about being down in the pit after or during a good rain.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Thanks JBL

What’s the deal with one of the mining pic in the beginning it looks like there loading material out that is on fire or did the fire start after it was loaded?

06bowtie_guy

Thanks JBL

What’s the deal with one of the mining pic in the beginning it looks like there loading material out that is on fire or did the fire start after it was loaded?

It appears to be a coal mine which for whatever reason was on fire. They were loading the truck and hauling. Notice they progress to the point where the truck is burnt to the ground along with the shovel.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Looks like they were trying to haul the fire away before it got away from them. How would one put a fire out in a coal mine?

I know there has been a fire going on up north in the muskeg for at least the last 20 years with no way to fight it.

Electra_Glide

Looks like they were trying to haul the fire away before it got away from them. How would one put a fire out in a coal mine?

I know there has been a fire going on up north in the muskeg for at least the last 20 years with no way to fight it.
There has been a mine fire going on underneath Centralia, PA for the last 45 years. Some things I have read suggest that it could burn for another 100 years. :eek:

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

Joe

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
checked out that site, pretty impressive that it's still burning.
Coal can be a pain in the ass. Where I work we stockpile the fine coal(when we get too much). It gets wet and the sun heats it up, sometimes we stir it up with a hoe and theres lots of steam and smoke. One year it actually caught fire.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It appears to be a coal mine which for whatever reason was on fire. They were loading the truck and hauling. Notice they progress to the point where the truck is burnt to the ground along with the shovel.

Actually, they're different sets of pictures.

The shovel loading the burning material is marked "Blair Althol" ,and has the number 1 on it, while the burning shovel is number 4. Similarly, the truck being loaded with the burning material is number 643 (as painted on the front of the cab protector), but the burned out truck doesn't have a tall enough front on the cab protector to paint that number.

Last edited:

90plow

I go to school in PA right by Centralia about 45 minutes away. It is a strange place to go and even stranger people live there (about 14 left). The government bought out the town because it was cheaper than putting out the fire. Theres an abandoned 4 lane highway that you can walk with 1-2 foot cracks with steam and smoke coming out. I've taken my old truck out there a couple times and gone off roading because no one seems to care about anything out there its like mad max living out there fourwheelers driving around old equipment just sitting there roads that go to nowhere and about 5 houses.
-Eric

Mike J

Yup Digger is right, if you look at the booms of the shovels one has a cable opperated bucket and the other looks like it is fully hydraulic. The 2 pics of burned trucks are each different trucks and they both are different from the pic of the truck hauling the burning coal.