• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heated bed on over the road trailer?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
This one is kind of out in left field for me.

Guy was asking me for ideas on heating the bed of a over the road trailer. The trailer is to be used for hauling scrap metal to a recycle facility and they are conserned about build up of snow and ice under the tralier in the winter months distorting the actual weight of the scrap. He was wondering about some kind of heat tape system that could run off the trucks wiring while on the road and maybe be connected to line power while trailer is disconnected to keep it above freezing.

I told him that if anyone could come up with an idea someone on this forum would be the one. A feww smart A$$ replies woould be fine too! Like wait for global warming to kick in, problem solved!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
When our roads are sloppy we get a heck of a lot more snow/ice buildup on the frame rails and cross members than on the deck. It is not uncommon for our pulp wood stick trailers to weigh 1,500 to 2,500 lbs heavier than normal when weighing empty when the roads have a couple inches of wet snow on them. It would be tough to get enough heat to keep it off while driving. They don't pay that much for scrap here to be feasible to run a system like he is looking for.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
When our roads are sloppy we get a heck of a lot more snow/ice buildup on the frame rails and cross members than on the deck.

God point, I'll pass that on. I believe this is a trucking company that is returning material trimed off during stamping to be recycled to new sheet to start over again. Seems they could weigh the trucks when being loaded and go by that and not be worried about weight whe being dropped off. But maybe both sides are worried the other is going to cheat?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If there are scales at either the loading or unloading point then as Cutting Edge says, where's the problem..? Weigh the truck coming into the facility empty or loaded as the case may be, load/offload, weigh the truck after loading/offloading. The difference has to be what's in (or was in) the back. The only possible issue I would see is scale certification but surely that could be overcome.

I see no possible way of stopping snow/ice buildup on the truck frame rails even if you could successfully find a way to stop it building up on the underside of the dump body.