• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HD5G, looking for some insight.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
So temptation got the best of me and I went to look at this yesterday. Started right up cold, hardly any smoke, 2-71 runs like a clock. Undercarriage seems tight, crawls very quietly and smooth. Needs bucket pivot pins and bushings rebuilt and there is a lot of slop in the gear shifter.

I have a 5 acre plot to clear with mostly less than 12" diameter trees and would like to be able to take on small land clearing jobs.

My thought is what's in motion likes to stay in motion. This thing has been going for nearly 70 years, another couple hundred hours shouldn't be hard to amass. I know it's an exercise to operate and probably slow compared to anything 50 years newer but I like it and would enjoy operating it. Guessing it's about 14,000lbs so my 9 ton would carry it.

Any insight or words of wisdom are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190617_154255.jpg
    20190617_154255.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190617_154234.jpg
    20190617_154234.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14