• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

Hallback, I don't know if any of you out there have gone onto this site but the majority of our old IPL Trucks are listed under "Jenna Equipment" now Just google that and it will come up. Sometimes you have to fool around to get some of the stuff to load. The fire tankers are listed under Misc equipment. The real sleeper that was among them was the 245, The sister truck to 246. I see it is now listed as SOLD She was a 1973 HDX I was actually going to buy her if she didn't get sold soon but alas she is gone

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired

Yellowstar

Hi there, I've been watching this thread for years and finally decided to sign up.
I have a few crane (hiab and stinger) trucks I run in the Fraser valley and am looking to add "project" to the fleet.
I have found a HD that has not really done much for most of its life. When I first came across the truck in the mid 80's it was already mostly retired and I would be surprised if it had run more than a couple thousand km since.
I went and looked at it agin when I was in northern bc at Christmas and it appears to be in relatively good condition. I'll try to post some pictures later today.
I'm told it is a 68, has a 13 speed and a 335 cummins. Double frame, rubber block suspension , and a gravel box on it (which has to go). The owner has the original engine side panels etc so it is a complete truck.
Brass plate on dash says HD33-48. Serial 5122930
HDX do you have any info on this truck somewhere in you vast knowledge library on Hesse things?
Is it worth fixing up? I guess everything depends on how many $$$ they guy wants for it.

HDX

Yellowstar Let me start by saying Welcome Glad to see you contribute to this group. OK as to your questions Lets start by saying your great find is a 1965 HD. The serial number will tell you some of the mystery. Break it down this way 5122930 5/year 12/month 2930/Number of units built by Hayes. They would keep the 7 digit serial number up until half way through 1970 when the first three digits were dropped (year and month) and just the last 4 numbers became the actual serial number. So near as I could research, This truck was not a custom ordered truck. She was a dealer lot truck. Would have been delivered near as I can tell was Nov/Dec 1965. I will dig deeper if you need more. She came with 234 inch WB. NTC-335 Cummins engine, serial number 468013. Spicer 8251-F Main trans s/n 654283 and an 8341-C aux trans s/n H3787. Also 14 inch clutch.10:00X20 tires all around with Budd wheels SQDD Rear ends,7.54 Ratio . That gave her a top speed of 58.5 MPH. She was also a 12/24 volt unit with Positive ground. So she had a series Parallel switch. Also a single 65 Gal Fuel tank. Truck was Linden Green (DU-144) and Black. Front bumper was Black and white stripes. Interior was Beige (Hammertex Chestnut) This was the standard color for all the Hayes trucks in the 60's. Also has the small rear window (Logging Style). So from just looking at your pictures She is a pretty straight old girl... Very well worth saving.. There is a number of things she would require but that can be worked out down the road. The door panel on the drivers side is a newer one of a 70's model Truck because it is the 70's hammertex green. (Almost GM Alpine Green) The speedo is a newer style Metric. Original was SW and MPH. Hayes never did use any metric gauges in any of their trucks because the metric system never came into use until 1977 in Canada. In fact, the only gauge that would read in both metric and standard was a Pyrometer. Even trucks built for export were all equipped with standard gauges. Hope this helps answer your questions. If you get serious about her, PM me and we will talk value OK

HDX

You can see in your pictures that the Rad Cap has a small air pressure gauge installed in it. This was done by somebody to check the pressure in the rad at operating temp. The rad had a 7 LB Pressure relief valve's on them and they worked well. But through time and neglect if they started to stick ,They would allow the pressure in the rad to build up enough to damage the rad core. This little gauge would allow you to see if the pressure was going up beyond the 7 LB range and you could just stop and loosen the cap to bleed the pressure off--Expansion and contraction as the water temp got hotter. There was a modification made to rectify this valve some years later. we can get into this later if you want. Also The trailer hand valve is the style used by Pacific, Not Hayes. She did have brakes on the steering axle when new but I cant tell if they have been deleted or not in the pictures.