• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Mike Cross , Fletcher Challenge Canada , Caycuse Div. Rebuilding HD Hayes . ( I don't know how long it would take to rebuild a truck , sometimes it was work that was done at slack time or on shut downs , if it was a priority , it seemed to get done in short order ) .scan714.jpg scan715.jpg scan716.jpg

dirty4fun

Hot damn that does look good. Sure does make this guy feel very good inside seeing one rebuilt. It must make you fellows who have been there your whole life time feel the very best!

HDX

Good score Jumbo. It is a 1972-74 HD Hayes. You can tell by the new style doors (With the lip where your arm rest's) Also the deep front bumper and the headlites on the fenders. These were know as HD Wide Rad's. Not sure of the exact model due to what engine she came with. She has 46-40 rear ends so that would make her an HD ##-70 model. The first two digits would indicate the HP of whatever engine she was built with. Say for laugh's she came with a 350 Cummins then it would be a 35-70 for 350 HP and 70,000 lb rear ends She will have a 4 digit serial number. These trucks were 9 feet 6 inches wide across the rear tires. Was common to have a Spicer 1202 two speed aux trans with a road ranger main trans. Hard to find those old 2 speed's now. Maybe try and find out her serial number and we can identify her

HDX

Welder Dave, In the guy's defence, There is not a lot of Hayes's around down south of the border. He is/was probably told that from whoever he bought it from or somehow ended up with her. They are somewhat hard to identify even from pictures. Take for instance ,The ramp truck above that camptramp has posted the rebuild of. Any idea's what year it is???

Welder Dave

I guess but you would think someone would have a bit of an idea what they have. From what I read the Big Cam Cummins came out in 1976 but maybe the engine was changed. Still looks a little too modern for a 1950's truck.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Wow...1956...Good for her....I love the hand made fuel tank on the right side..One part that has 3 jobs..

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Is that just strip calking on the door where the inner panel goes or is/was it some sort of adhesive..I like the way the Hayes doors are done.The window winder parts are all mounted to the door.On my truck the parts are attached to the inner panel.The glass drops to the bottom when removing the panel..
It is all looking very nice.Love the old school under dash ash tray and lighter.....The rear glass frame is nice as well....

Those shiny little bears are calling me.....

HDX

Was thinking of maybe putting this in her. It is sitting on the top shelf in the basement doing nothing anyway. these are all brand new NOS Stewart Warner. Nothing metric. I lucked out and got the last Speedo and Tach from Kenworth. These came from their warehouse in south L.A. Was a fluke because nobody even knew they were still there