• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Gorgeous, now will it stay showroom floor prototypical, or will it have a few scuff marks on the bumper, perhaps a big ding in the box? The skill with which people “age and weather” railroad cars is always amazing. That is a separate art form. I like the tiny details like the shovel and ax rack.

The still photos reminds me of a gravel pit in Eastern WA, the truck fit right in.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I am reposting a few pictures hoping to find out more about this great old truck.
116_zpsq1j0tknc.gif

Hank R

Occupation
Received these pictures from Paystar, WillB took these pics. Sorry, I didn't get you a serial number Hank, as no one was there and I don't like openingdoors without permission.

What I can tell you is it was in the steel mill owner by Cooper CraneRentals and it was red. It also had Quebec plates on it.
Then Sterling Crane bought out Coopers and they also still used it to haul machinery around inside the plant.
But then they sold it to Avery and it is still used in the plant, now painted green.

It has a V12 Detroit and was recently rebuilt by my dealer...TMS.

It's hooked to a King A64 200 ton float.

This is all I know about the truck and I hope we can find out more information.

Thanks Guys.

HDX

I said in one of the earlier post's that I thought I knew this truck Hank, and it finally came out. This truck when new was delivered to Hole & Clark Transport, Port Hardy BC Sept 20 1968. Came with 12V71N engine and 58-60 Allison trans. 90,000 lb Clark planetaries, Rear end ratio was 15:298. Truck had a logging water tank mounted on her and a Holland 5th wheel . Was originally painted Torche Red (Dulux DU 11311) with a yellow band on each side. 14:00 X 25 tires In the pictures above she has 16:00 X25 tires on the steering axle. I had seen this truck in Campbell River at one time but never had a camera with me and figured it would be around for a while but it disappeared.So now the mystery is solved!!!! Thanks for doing that Hank

Hank R

Occupation
I received from Shawn in Ontario this afternoon.
Like I had told you, all I knew of it was it was owned by Cooper Crane and was used in Algoma Steel. But it had Quebec plates on it. So they must have had it at a yard out there at one point.
But it has been in the Sault here since I first started hauling in the steel plant in 1989.
It was painted red. Then Sterling Crane bought Coopers and they sold it to Avery Construction and Transportation where it was painted their company green.