• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

No You are right on the money The thing is a decal material and glued to the door like you said They still had the brass plate screwed onto the drivers door also though. Good work Cam Keep the pictures trickling in.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I wonder what happened to this truck or what its story is..The engine appears to be fairly new and the diffs are still there..The steering column is gone and the rear springs are gone other than that it just looks like little things ...Just no work for her maybe ???

There's those headlight boxes again....

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Somehow I knew I had seen that truck before. It was running for Lineham Logging for some years. I think it was auctioned in 2011. See post#210 on this thread.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Re post#2381 - thank you Steve for posting those pictures. I looked through my Hayes pictures and found several HDX with headligth boxes. But 2 of them got my attention - Steelrock's Unit #4. See post #64 and post #185(Steel Rock comments to my pictures) So at least 1 of the 3 Inland Kenworth rebuilt HDX trucks is still going strong. Look at post #778 on this thread as well. It looks all most identical to Steel Rocks HDX. It got handle on the brush guard as well. These pictures were taken in 2005 so Steel Rock could have aquirred this truck afterwards or it is another of the 3 rebuilt HDX????

skadill

Hayes HDX

This was in the Madill archive photo collection box i have,picture has same photo company as others on backside.This is for Steve,for some reason he will know something with little to go on here.I have no info on it,but taken by Madill,(009 4 axle yarder in background.

Attachments

• SCAN_20161104_212943256.jpg
    SCAN_20161104_212943256.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 879

diamondtguy

Occupation
I am sitting at the computer thinking so....While at Pacific we built some very purpose built P-16's.We had the 3 mac blo 3412 powered trucks,the three 12V92TT trucks.Black Princes 16V71 truck..These trucks also had the Cotta aux trans and we built a few other interesting combo's..I am wondering was the order sheet this open on the HDX's..
Were there any (latter day)HDX's purpose built for a particular area,load or terrain that were not your typical 12v71 Allison combo...Were any 16V71's built....I am assuming there were other viable choices in the early 70's other than the 12V71.

I am pretty sure we built a 16V71TT P-16 but I don't remember who it was for..

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I can only think of the heavy haul trucks that were built. I think they are or were in Spain. 121's in the rear and the picture I've seen shows a 91,000 steering axle. Looks like Cummins V12 for power. They may still be working, HDX would have better knowledge for sure.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
I remember Bob Stephens telling me that when he was ordering his last HDX he wanted some big power but not the Cummins at the time, wanted to stay with Detroit, was asking about a 16v-71, Hayes told him they have never done one, but they could if he would pay the extra engineering cost involved. It was more then he want to pay so he took the 12v-71TT option instead.

HDX

That was one from left field ! These were THE BIGGEST TRUCKS HAYES BUILT There was two that went to Spain in Oct/73. These were built under the Mack Worldwide name .There was NO HAYES NAME PLATES on them They had MACK on them instead.Anything saying Hayes was removed. They were both LowBed trucks with ballast box's on them. Painted Euclid Green. Shipped overseas from Port of Vancouver and unloaded in Southern England and transferred to another ship for the rest of the trip to Southern Europe. Both were Hayes WHDX's Model 70-170 These two had the Cummin's VTA-1710-C-700 engines , Clark CL 16820-9 Trans and the HM-13-A Shift towers Front Axle Clark FDS 22610 and Mack SWSP -643 rear axles 18.73 ratio. 16:00X25 tires. There were two more that were built under the PACCAR International name in 1975 Shipped from Port of Vancouver direct to Spain June/75 Sold to Transportes Especiales SA. WHDX's also model 70-170 engines were Cummin's VTA 1710-C-700 The rear diffs in these were the Clark BD 121,000--15.267 ratio and front axle was Clark FDS-22710 with 15.033 ratio. Trucks were also painted Euclid Green. I have a ton of pictures of these trucks. A good friend from England was allowed after much talking to actually go over and film one of the moves involving these two trucks. Because they(Arbegui) are now under contract to the Spanish Power and Nuclear Authority (Heavily Restricted) it was a real big thing to let them be part of it. Peter Connock and partner Martin Phippard made a VHS film of the move. It is available through NYNEHEAD BOOKS in the UK. It is called "Seeing Double" by CPP Productions. Don't know if it has been upgraded to DVD now or not, I can email Peter and ask him if required. I will post some pictures of these truck when I get a chance. Funny that this came up because one of the two trucks is or was for sale and try as I might just could not figure out how to get her back here!!!

diamondtguy

Occupation
I will have to read that 6 times to soak it all up but that's kinda/sorta what I wanted to know.Sucks that they took the Hayes name off the trucks...
Its also interesting that the trucks were exported.Not that Hayes or Pacific didn't export truck's its that its a I-beam truck.They usually stayed close to home as a logging truck
I also see two of them were 6x6..
While I have your attention HDX....were there ever any 16V71 HDX's built.
Very cool stuff....Would love to see some pictures...
Thanks....

A quick internet check showed me some pics of the 6x6's.They are on Hanks forum..Seen a few of them before but I didn't clue in that they were HDX's not WHD's...Two of them are seriously big.

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
A couple of pics that Hank R sent me...Don't know if they have been posted before.The one pic sure looks like my local mountains..
Question for HDX...is that a air start tank I see on the right side ??

thumbnail_img057.jpg

thumbnail_img058.jpg

NP-15-A

I see looking at the NFB {National Film Board) web site there are two movies that can be watched
Road Of Iron has a Hayes Lawrence forklift. And all in french La coupe du bois en Colombie-Britannique it shows a Mack, Pacific EMOD and a Hayes all early I don't know where taken but somewhere on the coast cool to watch.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Boulder Bill , Timberwest HBO , These two HDX Hayes were originally BCFP Caycuse trucks the #40-129 was BCFP #6-252 and the #40-128 was BCFP 6-251 .scan070.jpgscan071.jpg