1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Hay business ???

Discussion in 'Agricultural Operations' started by JD4020, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RocksnRoses

RocksnRoses Senior Member

Owner operater crushing & contracting business
    This is what happened in our area last week. Approximately 16,000 big square bales (750kg, 1,650lb), three or four telehandlers, tractors, cubing plant and hay pressing equipment all destroyed. About $A15 million dollars worth at this stage. This plant presses hay and packs it in containers for the Japanese market and also makes pellets for the livestock boats etc. They have been operating for about fourteen years and employ twenty people. The alarm was raised about 3am, a padlock on the gates had been cut and there were three ignition points. The CFS monitored the fire but just let it burn out, which took about a week.
    You just have to wonder what sort of people are out there.

Rn'R.

Attached Files:

• R1.jpg
      R1.jpg
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • R2.jpg
      R2.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Cropduster

Cropduster Active Member

Yeah I have to admit, horse people are a pain in the ass. Dated a horse chick for a bit, she ran me ragged. I spent more time on her projects than I did my own stuff. The one thing about 'em they generally pay quick.

3. talus

talus Member

I think you can do it. Go down to the local feed store. Around here they usually have a buliten board. Take a look. See what the store sells it for. Like some of the other say horse people are crazy. I married one:Banghead. Another thing to think about is help. Evryone says "Oh yeah I'll help you do hay" they never show. It always seems like we are trying to beat out a storm.Try TractorHouse.com to get an idea what stuff goes for.

4. skyhightree1

skyhightree1 Active Member

Business Owner

I am in VA and in hes right on the square bales but round can be anywhere from 30-60 depending on what type of hay it is... of course the better hay will cost more. I have cattle and mine is just rye grass hay mixed with clover...

5. tyler5652@yahoo

tyler5652@yahoo COPPA

Just curious can you make money with hay as far as growing it bailing it and selling it all together, after all production cost fuel,water,ferterlizer, can you still come out ahead?