• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hay business ???

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
This is what happened in our area last week. Approximately 16,000 big square bales (750kg, 1,650lb), three or four telehandlers, tractors, cubing plant and hay pressing equipment all destroyed. About $A15 million dollars worth at this stage. This plant presses hay and packs it in containers for the Japanese market and also makes pellets for the livestock boats etc. They have been operating for about fourteen years and employ twenty people. The alarm was raised about 3am, a padlock on the gates had been cut and there were three ignition points. The CFS monitored the fire but just let it burn out, which took about a week.
You just have to wonder what sort of people are out there.

Rn'R.

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 981

Cropduster

Yeah I have to admit, horse people are a pain in the ass. Dated a horse chick for a bit, she ran me ragged. I spent more time on her projects than I did my own stuff. The one thing about 'em they generally pay quick.

talus

I think you can do it. Go down to the local feed store. Around here they usually have a buliten board. Take a look. See what the store sells it for. Like some of the other say horse people are crazy. I married one:Banghead. Another thing to think about is help. Evryone says "Oh yeah I'll help you do hay" they never show. It always seems like we are trying to beat out a storm.Try TractorHouse.com to get an idea what stuff goes for.

skyhightree1

Occupation
Business Owner
I wouldnt be able to tell you if this was good or not but.

Square bails here are going 6.50-7.50 a bail.

Not sure about round.

-Michael-

I am in VA and in hes right on the square bales but round can be anywhere from 30-60 depending on what type of hay it is... of course the better hay will cost more. I have cattle and mine is just rye grass hay mixed with clover...

Just curious can you make money with hay as far as growing it bailing it and selling it all together, after all production cost fuel,water,ferterlizer, can you still come out ahead?